Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How do I find a discontinued part for my Vette?

The tilt mechanism on my '88 Vette steering column is broken. I'm told I need GM Part# 7843689 -- Column Housing, but that part is no longer available. If I can't find the part, I'll consider an entire column. I have to believe that GM used that part in other year Vettes and/or other vehicles. Does anyone know how I can find that information?

Thanks,
Ed

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
Hi Ed,

I just ran that part number through Partsvoice.com and came up empty. There was a pop-up message about adding it to a requested list, though.

PartsVoice is a searchable site that aims to help dealers sell off excess, low volume, or obsolete inventory.

I encourage you, and other readers, to register (for free) as I think that such a service has some huge potential ... which is presently under-utilized. I used them to locate an obsolete wiper delay module for my old winter beater (1986 Tempo GL).

I also encourage everyone to tell dealership parts managers about this service as well, in order to increase availability.

OOPS -- I re-read your post and realized that I could also help with the "what other years will it fit" question.

Go to your favorite scrap yard, and ask him to "put it on the line" for you. Most wreckers subsbscibe to some sort of search or messaging service that allows them to find parts at other wrecking yards. They search by "Hollander" part number ... which is provided by Hollander Interchange Manuals. If you ask really nice, they should be able to tell you what other vehicles use that same interchange number.

Don

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don,

Thanks for the response. That partsvoice site is a good idea. I'll pass the word around. I'll also be hitting some local auto recycling facilities next week. We don't have good old fashioned junk yards around here anymore.

Ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.