Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1965 Impala SS Convertible
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.I have been trying to get the Harmonic Balancer off of my engine and I cant.Its a 327.I got the puller and I still cant get it off.Its just too tight and it wont loosen.What should I do?All I am trying to do is get it off so I can take my Timing chain cover off so I can fix a broken bolt.Someone please help.Thanks,

Eazy

·
Administrator
6,247 Posts
You might try tightening the puller and rapping the driver end of the puller (shaft) with a hammer, not enough to mushroom it. If you can get at the center part of the balancer, try rapping around the center, inside the O-Ring while it has pulling pressure on it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Are you in the cold while doing this? The balancer may contract more when cold than the crank. This would cause an interference fit. You can try to warm the balancer close to the crank and add some penetrating oil. This will help transfer heat and ultimately loosen things up.. I feel your pain, been there. Without a doubt make sure you have enough threads captured in the balancer. You dont want to pull them out. You thought you had problems now. Heat on the balancer not the crank and penetrating oil, that's the trick.. If you have the time soak it and let it sit overnight :thumbup:

·
489 Lemans
2,139 Posts
easy off

try putting a screw driver through the balancer against the block between the oil pan and timing cover. This may stop it from spinning.
There are those leather wrap around wrenches. you could try wrapping one of those around the balancer to stop it from spinning. Some stores sell a cheap rubber version. One is called the boa constrictor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.