Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
HEAD GREASEWHORE
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 72 monte .. the car is all original and quarters are cheese free.. but...
someone had painted the car with a Tremclad spray bomb.. now.. here is the question ...
Do I strip this off and go over it with a vinyl wash? or do i scuff.. prep scuff again and prime?
I have never had to work with a Tremclad rust paint before...
However i do believe that this did help keep the body as sound as it is! ,,Just a thought!

Puppyciao
Kim

[ May 12, 2003: Message edited by: chevyluvnpuppy ]</p>

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
Bump. ;)

·
Registered
533 Posts
I did not respond at first as I really never heard of a 'Tremclad spary bomb'.... If you feel the paint is in really good condition, you can block sand, prime, (seal if you like) and paint. I prefer, especially when the substrate is unknown, to strip it to bare metal and start all over. If you feel the vehicle is worth your efforts, do as much as possible to make it perfect- start at the bdginning!! Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I would use a quality sealer over the tremclad paint at least then use your desired paint. I'm not a big fan of rattle can anything unless its on a MC tank or a pumped rattle can of PPG or other name brands. If its not going to have a trick exspensive paint skin, I wouldn't worry about stripping to bare steel. If you intend on a $$$$$ paint job strip all the way and go from there.

I appologize for no responce sooner, but if you have any frther questions feel free to e-mail me and I will respond sooner.

HK

[ May 14, 2003: Message edited by: Halloweenking ]</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts