Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 78 Firebird I just finished blasting the interior of the body. I used a boroscope and looked into my rockers. There were so many leaves and pine needles that I could not see any metal. I snaked my shop vac hose into it and sucked out a good amount of the debris. There are still pieces of junk laying in my rockers. My rockers also have very minimal rust.

I was thinking of spraying the inside with Eastwood Heavy Duty Anti Rust. I am still concerned with getting all the debris out though. Would you guys reccomend me cutting out parts of the inner rocker that would be normally covered by the carpet and then welding patches when I get done with it? Should I just spray the Anti Rust and not worry about the debris?

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
I work on mostly older stuff but here is what I always do.

Most of my projects are Michigan based old cars. That said, there is usually a lot of rust on the inner panels, even on the "good" cars.

I blast as much of the rust as possible. On enclosed rockers. I get all of the sand/debris out and use a rust product such as Rust Mort on the interior surfaces. Then tape off the major access points and fill the rocker with urethane high expanding foam from the home improvement store.. Trim off excess.

Works very well. No rust returns and actually strengthens the unit. I have one old Dodge that was done in the eighties and still looks like new. An old Hudson that had 1/2 gallon of beach sand in each rocker. It is good also. This treatment stops the rust and deprives the crud a place to accumulate.

·
Registered
614 Posts
There is a product like this out there that I know someone has used for the inside of doors. It is a wax type substance that will lock out all types of moisture. Have no experience with it myself, but know it does exhist.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I spray a cavity wax into my rockers it is just gonna stick to the debris. That is why I was asking if it would be a good idea to cut out parts of the rocker that are normally hidden by carpet to access those boxed areas so I would be able to clean out the debris.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a product like this out there that I know someone has used for the inside of doors. It is a wax type substance that will lock out all types of moisture. Have no experience with it myself, but know it does exhist.
Yes, I mentioned the Eastwood version, "Heavy Duty Anti-Rust." It does work well.

Fe+02---> Fe203

This is a chemistry formula that shows the reaction to make rust. Iron+oxygen combine to make rust. Using a cavity wax seals the surface from oxygen and water which also contains oxygen thus prevents rust.

·
Registered
614 Posts
If there is no other way to get at the inner rockers to clean them out the way you want to, then cutting into the sill plate areas to get access is your call. Sure it would make it much more accessable, then weld the pieces back in and be done with it. Is this car going to see rain and typical daily driver weather? Or is it going to be a sunday show driver never to see wet pavement? If it is the later of the two, even if you did not clean all the debris out of there I think it would out last you before you would start to see any problems. Again your call.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
LOL, Good question. Better reread the thread huh?

John L
I ment Brian and his cavity wax, you old fart...I was trying to be funny...

Dont take them apart...
heres what you do ..Using a hole saw cut a nice hole in the rear wheel well to gain access to the rocker,then the front of the rocker, mabee 1-1 1/4"... blow out all the debrie with a pencil type blower and slide the hose all the way in to the other end of the rocker then do it from the other direction...Once its all cleaned out and dry then you spray the wax or undercoating in with an undercaoting wand after that you use a standard plastic hole plug to seal off the two holes,,,

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Dont take them apart...
heres what you do ..Using a hole saw cut a nice hole in the rear wheel well to gain access to the rocker,then the front of the rocker, mabee 1-1 1/4"... blow out all the debrie with a pencil type blower and slide the hose all the way in to the other end of the rocker then do it from the other direction...Once its all cleaned out and dry then you spray the wax or undercoating in with an undercaoting wand after that you use a standard plastic hole plug to seal off the two holes,,,
Interesting, So You say cut a hole in the front next to the torque boxes, and cut a hole in the rear, beneath the front of the quarter panels? I will have to look at my car again to completely understand exactly what you meant to say.

·
Slow but willing learner
5,407 Posts

Dont take them apart...
You can't call me an old fart you dang Georgia hillbilly..........:D

·
put up or shut up
3,144 Posts

Dont take them apart...
most logical answer yet.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.