Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
how do i tell what engine i have?

FORD Q i have an engine that on the valve cover said 360/390. everything i have read said that the only real difference between the two was the stroke. is there a casting number on the connecting rods or crank to tell what i have? or is there another way to tell except by measuring the stroke? thats all for now!
thanks

the new guy

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
Quick Field Check

FFR428 05-13-2004 04:15 PM said:
An easy and fairly painless method of checking the stroke ia as follows.....pull out one of the spark plugs. Then turn over the engine till you reach TDC. Then stick a pencil or lenght of round wood dowel or someting similar and turn over (by hand) the engine till the piston is at the lowest point of stroke. Then note the length and measure. 3.5 for the 360 3.8 390 4.0 for the 428 etc... this will give you a fairly accurate reading of the stroke of the engine for you to determine what it is.

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
Maybe you've already done it, but look under the coil bracket on the intake. Ford used to put tags there that tell exactly what it is. It is a small rectangular aluminum tag with CID, production and change info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts