Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'53 Packard Engine Swap

My engine committed sucide. Rather than try to rebuild it I'm going to try to find a much newer engine that develops 160 [email protected] 3600 r.p.m. and 295 ft./lbs. of torque @ 2000 r.p.m. to replace the Straight 8 that came in this Packard Clipper. Anybody have any ideas? I also need to find out if there's a market for my old engine and the Ultramatic transmission it's bolted to. Is this a good place to start?

·
Administrator
18,433 Posts
welcome.................a Packard is a heavy car, the bigger the motor, the better in something that large.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1953 Packard

Thanks for your reply. My Packard, at 4300 lbs. (w/an 1100 lb. engine and transmission)is actually only 150 lbs. heavier than the '95 Mercury Villager I'm driving now. The Mercury is powered by a 3 Liter Nissan engine. I wonder if a newer (and smaller) engine might move this beast. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Almost anything you put in is going to take some work. So my sugestion is a 1970 Cadalliac 500 cu in engine ( 400 hp 550ft lbs tq). But it has to be a 1970, later years were crippled by Epa mandates to about 50% of that. In 1970 they also had a 472 cu in @ 475 hp and 425 ft lbs Tq. Either one should push the Packard around in style. At 10.5 : 1 compression you will have to spring for Premium gas but it would be one class ride..:thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts