Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1964 Thunderbird, 390 FE
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the title pretty much sums it up. When I was still messing with brakes and front bearings on the Thunderbird, I didn't take the time to get up and go in the house to wash my hands enough between working on stuff and mounting wheels and tires, so the whitewalls are more like greywalls from the grease and grime. I always had bigger fish to fry before, but now that the Tbird is drivable, it's time to make her look good.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,303 Posts
Westy's is great. So is a product called Reliable. It's made in upstate NY and I rarely see it outside of the area, but you can likely get it online.

When you spray it on, it literally dissolves oxidized rubber. You'll get this awful streaky brown crap coming off. Scrub brush the whole tire and it looks like new. Reliable was originally designed to get black streaks off of RVs. Rubber roofs on RVs get chalky and then rain rinses it down the sides making the streaks. That stuff takes it right off.

Edit: It's available on Amazon. Looks like this:

·
More for Less Racer
20,926 Posts
Westley's Bleche Wite and a nylon scrub brush was what I always used on white letter tires. Then a tire dressing to detail then up a little shine-wise.

White walls were for grandpa IMO....every car i ever bought that had them either got them demounted and reversed to put them black side out, or replaced with white letters or drag tires.

Only continuous stripe I like is the skinny Gold line, Red line, or Blue Streak. Or wide whites on Vintage stuff.

·
Registered
1964 Thunderbird, 390 FE
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. All kinds of options now. My grandpa said steel wool, but I asked here to see if we had something around the house that would work well. I'll try some SOS pads and then if it still needs cleaned better I'll go with Curtis73's Reliable cleaner.

White walls were for grandpa IMO....every car i ever bought that had them either got them demounted and reversed to put them black side out, or replaced with white letters or drag tires.

Only continuous stripe I like is the skinny Gold line, Red line, or Blue Streak. Or wide whites on Vintage stuff.
I guess I'm a grandpa now. :LOL: They're 1 inch whitewalls, not a large whitewall. Before buying the new tires I jacked up the bird, took off the wheels and reversed them (just sitting beside the car, not mounting them that way) I looked at with vs without the whitewalls and decided the whitewalls fit the car and wheels better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.