Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last car was fuel injected, so I just had to turn the key. But I grew up with older cars with carburetors, and there was always a short little routine to start them and keep them running.

The one I remember most was my mom's 79 Thunderbird. To start it, you had to pump the gas 3 times. Then hold the pedal half way to the floor and turn the key. After it started, you had to keep the pedal half way to the floor for a second. If you didn't do it exactly like this, the car wouldn't stay running--if it would start at all.

Now, I have a Fairlane, and I haven't figured out the correct motions yet. I think I need to rebuild the carburetor anyway. So, I might have better luck finding the correct routine after the rebuild.

So what do you do, if anything? If you want to keep it a secret, that's OK too. I guess it's a good theft deterrent. ;)

·
Lost in the 50s!
758 Posts
I do not have a car. I have a truck with the original Y-block V8.

Lets see... Press the clutch and brake pedal. Pull the choke out completely. Push the gas pedal to the floor and release to half way up. Turn the key. Once it starts, slowly work the choke back in until it idles by itself.

Then again, dad rebuilt my carburator, so the 50 year old truck runs really well. :D

EDIT: You wanted to know the carb too? Its a holly 2100 (2 barrel) make for ford. As far as I know, it was used stock on the 272 Y-block engine.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Foot choke it.. :D
My old yeller truck gets 2 or 3 initial pumps on the pedal then constantly pumped with the starter running until it starts.
That's a cold start.
Hot... I just reach down and turn the key. That one has a 302 with an Autolite 2 V carb.

My Blazer with a 600 VC holley.......
1/2 pump, then turn the key with the gas slightly depressed until it starts and feather the gas for about 30 seconds and yer off.

My dodge van is the same as Old Yeller. Foot choke it, baby :thumbup:

My shovelhead harley gets 3 shots, choke on, then kick twice.
95% of the time it starts on the second kick.

If it doesn't start on kick 2, then kicks 3 through 412 probably wont start it either. :( So I drive the blazer.

Later,
Mikey

·
Start those projects someday
556 Posts
A carb kit is cheap. Rebuild the carb and set all the adjustments as per instructions. You should be able to start a vehicle with a properly set carb with one push to the floor to set the choke to the closed position. If you have to play with throttle to keep it running cold then the carb is not set properly. You may need to "dial in" the choke cover, unloader, fast idle, etc. for your particular vehicle.

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,624 Posts
My Jeep- apply brake, turn the key
74 AMC Javelin- apply clutch, 2 pumps+choke, turn key. If cold pump while cranking.
friend's 1968 Chevrolet Impala- fender says 307, Im told it's a 400... single plane intake, stock manifolds, and sounds like stock cam :drunk: pump 2-3 times, 1/2 throttle while cranking.
grandma's ford 8n- turn fuel shutoff valve to on, clutch, 1/2-2/3 hand throttle, full chock, and press the starter button (looks like old-school foot brights switch :thumbup: )

·
Registered
306 Posts
My El Camino in cold weather: Turn the key and pump the gas pedal like crazy until it starts. Then don't touch the gas pedal until it dies the first time. Pump the pedal twice and turn the key until it starts. Let it idle until it dies the second time. Turn the key again without touching the gas pedal. As it's stumbling and rumbling, gently feather the pedal until I can get the RPMs up to about 2500, then gradually back off the pedal until it idles. Let it idle for about 10 minutes to let it convince itself that it really wants to run. Put it into reverse and back out of the driveway. Put it in Drive and press the gas pedal gently. Put it in park and restart it. Put it in drive again, and we're off. Same thing every winter morning.

My El Camino in warm weather: Pump the gas pedal twice then turn the key. Gently rev it a couple of times to get the RPMs up to about 2500, then let it idle for about 30 seconds. Back it out of the driveway and we're off.

My wife's Jeep Liberty in any weather: Push the button on the remote starter from anywhere inside the house, then stand in the kitchen window with a hot cup of tea and watch the ol' man try to start his El Camino...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Haha, Dusty same exact thing with my friends El Camino, a '78.

For my Camaro- pump once turn key usually starts right away, even below freezing. Sometimes messed up starter grinds against flywheel. If that happens try again, and it usually happens again, but never the third try.

·
Registered
308 Posts
On a below zero day in Ely Nevada I pull the choke cable all the way out and the throttle cable 3/4 of the way out and hit the key.As soon as it starts I push in the choke and as it warms for a few seconds I push the throttle cable in to about 1/4 out and let it run till the windshield defrosts then I drive it to work.With a 190 thermostat it takes about 10 minutes.I love that 427 big block on those really cold days

·
Registered
605 Posts
In our 81 Monte in dire need of a new engine, if starting from cold you must pump it twice and turn the key while keeping your foot to the floor. After it warms up, push the pedal down a bit and it fires right up.

·
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang
507 Posts
Cold start: one pump, turn the key, starts right away, tap the throttle right away to idle it down a tad, let it warm up about 2-3 minutes and tap the throttle again to get normal idle.

Warm start: don't touch the throttle, turn key, drive.

SBC 350, Edelbrock 1406, electric choke.

·
Registered
225 Posts
some times it has to be exact.

I used to have a 57 Chev truck that was VERY particular in the winter on how it was cold started. Exactly 1/2 choke, exactly 1 and 1/2 pumps then turn it over. It would turn over 4 times and fire up. Any variation on this procedure and you called a cab to work. If you followed this procedure it didn't seem to matter how cold it was it would start, and always on the 4th time it turned over.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I open the hood, take of the aircleaner, poor some gas down the carb, put aircleaner back on and close hood. Get inside the cab, press clutch and position my heel on the top of the gas pedal so I'm able to reach the start pedal pokin' out of the floor with my toes. Pump the gas 3 times with my heal, then push the starter pedal with my toes while gently pressing down the gas pedal with my heel.

Mike

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
with my '51 Chevy ( stock 6v 235/ PG ), pull choke out, turn key to center ON position ( switch is off, on, off ) pump gas a couple times, hold half way, push starter button, engine will normally fire on third crank.

with my '67 Falcon, pump gas 2 times, turn key, would start almost immediatly. but I tore the engine apart for a rebuild, so I could have a turbocharger.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.