Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new to the forum and have been pondering adding a targa hatch for the "corvette" type look. The hatch itself is $695, and I have no clue what it would cost to get it painted to match my body (white)

Take a look at my camaro its in my sig, and here is a picture of a targa hatch installed and painted.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
150 Posts
It shouldn't be too expensive to do as all you are really doing is removing the center bar where the t-tops connect. However, you have a car with some power so by removing that bar, you could end up with some problems. I know with the t-top cars people have to do some serious chassis stiffening to prevent twisting and seeing that you are running 11's now you will run into that problem by remeoving a main structure from the body. What do you have doone thus far for the chassis?

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,339 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't even think about it. Not unless you have seen this "kit" installed on other cars and good knowledge of it's quality.

I have seen many of these "kits" of one sort or another, sun roofs, covertible tops, removable hard tops, "T" tops and the like. 90% of them are JUNK . If it wasn't designed by GM or Ford or what ever, it was designed by some guy with more dream than knowledge of design.

I have seen the HACKENIST (yes I made the word up :)) junk designs with add on body modifications like that. On your car we are talking about STRUCTURE, not a fiberglass hood or something. We are talking STRUCTURE, your entire cars weigh is forced on that roof! I have had to replace the quarter inner structure on those cars before, the piece behind the quarter up to the roof. When you cut this piece out, you BETTER have the rocker supported and roof supported or it will cave in! That roof structure is an important part of the cars "frame" on a unibody.

Put some custom paint on the car if you want to make it different, don't cut it up. If you want a convertible, buy one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts