Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1979 F250 4x4 351m 400 4spd dana 60 front and rear (semi rare). Well Ive always liked the 73 through 77 two piece front grille and i was wondering how easy is it to swap them? I would have to switch the one center piece out for the two piece inserts and also the out side grill trim and as well headlights go form square to round but other then that what else is needed to do? Would i have to switch the rad support to an earlier model as well or could i keep it.. ?

thanks
bill C

·
Registered
307 Posts
That's a switch. I've changed several 73-77 to 78 style. The radiator support is different in the headlight area, but it's a simple mod. Every thing else is a bolt on.
Bob

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well bob thanks for the quick response !
You say thats a switch.. is it really time consuming or just an afternoon kinda thing... cause i can more then do just unbolt and bolt up again .. that'l kinda suck cause my rad support is like mint.haha oh well.. mabe i can trade it in on something else.. or sell it. Was there any other hickups in the process or is it straight forward.. oh and can i re-use the front marker lights.. and just move them from under the head light to above..?

thanks billC

·
Registered
307 Posts
No major problems. Should be able to do it in an afternoon. The modification to the support is to the headlamp mounting points. Easy mod.
I said that's a switch because it's usually a 77 to a 78 swap.
Bob

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh ic.. haha ya call me crazy but.. hey i like the two piece grill .... my first vehicle was a 77 2 wheel drive and i always wanted it to be 4x4... so i baught one .. but it was a 79 and last year goin up a narrow mountian i slid it off the road and bent the frame real bad so i sold it.. but alass.. i have found another.

there out there... you just need to keep an eye out for the good ones!

thanks again man

·
Super Moderator
18,351 Posts
Me too.......I found the 78-79 front end ugly. ...............But, then I always have been resistant to change. Just ask me what I think of todays trucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh nice... wow thats a rare find. To the best of my knowlege never seen a 4x4 short box 73-79 in person ! cool truck you better keep it !

bill C

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha oh nooo... sacrilegious the ultimate sin.....

lol i thought those looked like chevy beauty rings

but at lest you did the ford body justice an made her look pretty !

·
Super Moderator
18,351 Posts
Hate to dissapoint you but my 51 Ford pickup and 62 Pontiac are Chevy powered.....The 62 from the factory of course...Canadian car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts