Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I an considering putting a 9" Ford rear end out of a 1979 Lincoln Versailles in my Mopar A body. It appears to be pretty much a straight bolt in.

My question is how much can this particular rear end handle? A friend said they were falling out of favor with hotrodders.

The car weighs 3300 lbs and has a 408 horsepower 360 with a 904 automatic transmission. Transmission has a shift kit installed. This is a daily driver and will see little track usage.

Thanks for your help!

·
Glad the Jeep is on the road
809 Posts
A Ford 9" is about as strong as it gets. Take a good look at it and make sure it is a 9", I thought we were putting the old 8.5" in the Versailles, completely different axle, but that's 25 years ago and I might not remember right. They don't look the same at all, the 9" pumpkin is solid in the back and the innards bolt into the front, the 8.5" is the more common set up with the diff cover on the back.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is definitely a 9" Third member comes out the front and has the two nuts that you can only remove with a wrench. Can't get a socket on them.

And it is exactly what I am looking for in the overall width, width of spring perches, gear ratio, etc. I want to put it in an A body Mopar and it will bolt right in. Don't even have to change the driveshaft, only the u-joint.

However, this JERK changed the price after I drove 2 1/2 hours to buy it. He said the $150 dollar price did not include any brake parts, axles, third member. This is after he told me on the phone that everything from the brakes to the third member was included. The new price was $450. Told him no thanks.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
IF I remember correctly the brake parts for these Versailles diffs are getting hard to find new or used.

:D

·
Are we having fun yet?
213 Posts
I was told the same thing Crosley. I guess you can get the calipers, but the rotors are a different story.
<-------- Atleast mine with the 9" Lincoln isn't a daily driver and should last a while.

Norm.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I have heard of the Versailles 9 inch but all of them I looked under had the 8.5 so they must have came with either. I'm not familiar with the brakes but the other Lincold and Fords use a weird caliper with some ramps and steel balls for the parling brake actuation. These are troublesome and kind of difficult to get apart and back together to ever work right again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.