Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey There, I'm spray painting with cans of paint in a 12' by 20' one car garage with a 7.5' high ceiling. The fumes are quite toxic and need to be removed!
I've read that you take your all 3 measurements and multiple them together to get your cfm for the room. Then buy a fan according to the cfm of your room so it has enough power to exhaust your room. I live in British Columbia so its very cold here in the winter to open the garage door to paint because the paint doesnt dry when it is cold.
I have one 2.5' by 2.5' to vent out and 8" opening in the wall opposite to the window that i could put a intake fan. I have a polyed off 20" box fan in the window right now but its not moving that much air through the room. Some say box fans push around 2500cfm and other says they push around 250cfm. But this obviously isnt working well enough because its only strongly pulling air/smoke about 2' away from the fan.
So my question is what would be the most efficient way to properly vent my garage
- Without spending a excessive amount of money?
- How much cfm do i really need?
- Possibly 2 fans for exhaust and 1 for intake?
- Range Hood maybe?
Here is a few options ive been considering:
First 2 links i was thinking buying 2 or each and 3 link i was just going to purchase the one because its more expensive.
Seabreeze | Aerodynamic Turbo-Aire™ High Velocity Fan | Home Depot Canada
8" Portable Ventilator
Home Hardware - 10" 2 Speed Barn Fan, with Shutter

Please let me know what you think and suggestions

Thank you

·
Registered
977 Posts
You don't have enough intake area to match even your 20" box fan. I won't publicly recommend using fans that aren't explosion proof for such a job but saying that I never had explosion proof exhaust fans and I never blew up. If you have a large enough intake for even a 20" box fan you're going to have a real hard time keeping any heat in. How are you getting any heat in there anyway? Painting in the winter is never real safe in a make shift spraybooth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im getting heat from 2 furnace vents and oil heater(space heater) and the intake is from the inside of the house so its pulling in heat when the box fan is running. Explosive proof/totally enclosed engines are a option but like you said i need more intake to match the outtake.
The intake hole is 9", i will be putting in the most powerful fan i can find at this size.

·
Registered
977 Posts
So you're making a big cloud of paint in the same room as an fuel oil fired space heater is running? I don't see what could go wrong here. Consider waiting til spring to paint.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts