Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my truck has 360 ci fe engine how much horsepower will a 600 cfm carb add.

And what affect does a flameerthrow ignition have ???

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,618 Posts
We have no way of knowing unless you post tons more info... is it stock? What year and in what car? If its modified, what cam, heads, intake, etc.

We also need to know the current CFM.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is stock.

i read that the 360 was a sluggish engine because it has 390 components
so i am going to buy perfomance exhaust(how does add horsepower)and a new carb(600 cfm)

Currently: 215 horse power

·
5,618 Posts
Probably nothing. The rest of the engine is tuned down and unless your current carb is less than about 350 cfms, its not restricting anything. More isn't better, in fact it can be worse unless you are changing heads, cam, intake, and other components to match.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cfm

I don't have a clue as to 360/ 390 cubic inch engines, and I also don't know what cfm that carb is. Daily cruiser, fine with stock 2 barrels, upper rpms above 3500 need more. Regardless of 2 or 4, at upper rpms a carburator will starve for air. Playing around with different jet sizes would be a good start for me to think about, though to just swap a carb, as what was said earlier, too big a carb and reaction sucks, you also waste a lot of fuel.
Knowing factory intakes are somewhat restrictive and don't perform as well in upper rpms, though I have no idea of the comparison of the 360 and the 390 intake. If you do get an aftermarket carb, the only thing I can say is keep it under 650 and you must be wanting some high rpms out of it, though your vehicles weight is like 1 ton 4x4, and that is where i would be concerned about Torque and fuel mileage. The smaller might not be the best for you, though I being not the expert in carburators with this intake or that intake, would have personally looked at a 600 cfm, even a 625. This is a "I realy need to look at more than GM." thought of performance results. Flame thrower ignition? Kind of a bit more for your looking in the engine compartment and being happy it is there, more than an improvement when looking at costs, though will help your performance. Happiness is getting what you wanted regardless of the outcome. It's like being a Raiders fan.

·
Registered
605 Posts
ep50merc said:
i read that the 360 was a sluggish engine because it has 390 components
so i am going to buy perfomance exhaust(how does add horsepower)and a new carb(600 cfm)

Currently: 215 horse power
You can make the engine take larger breathes...but if it doesnt have the lungs...

If you know what I mean.

·
Registered
16 Posts
agreed on breathing

He did state he was getting a better exhaust which will help it breath a whole lot better, probably his biggest hp return. And WOW, Holley has a sweet carb determiner in the Tech Help, just saw it from a Carb topic here.

·
5,618 Posts
Yeah, but you could probably put a 1.5" single exhaust on that engine and not cork it. The heads and cam are really wheezy. All the external bolt-ons won't do ANYTHING unless he alters the INTERNAL airflow of the engine.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
360 needs a good headers, and good cam, with a distributor that is not worn out. More compression is a great help too. Carb size and manifold is way down the list.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts