Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 350 sb out of a 1975 4x2 chevy blazer was wonder if anyone knew how much horsepower it had and what is the best cam to use just for some sound with out redoing the whole engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That was the start of the cat conv for some states (Cali I know, trucks followed a few years later) and at the height of the smog motors. I think it wasn't until 84 or so when they started getting into a horsepower war with Ford in the Mustang that they got the motor more healthy again. I'm not sure, but I seem to remember in some of those motors the cam timing was retarded? My late Mother had a 75 monte that wouldn't get out of its own way, I don't suspect this motor will be any better. No to rain on your parade but just saying the 75's I drove during that time (the year I graduated high school) were pretty doggy. I'd expect maybe 150 hp and that would be maybe generous.

Regards,

Reverend D.

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
Out of a 75 blazer, 160hp. I have the same engine in my 4x4 . I put an edelbrok perf. intake and a 600 cfm carb on mine with long tube headers and NAPA super tubo's and it sounds great. With my 4.10's in the rear it has plenty of bottom end torque and throttle responce with the stock cam.
It won't win no races but it is very reliable. I don't think you will accomplish much by changing cams because of the low comp. and small valves but if your going to put one in, might as well put a new intake and carb on it becase your going to have the intake off anyway. Long tube headers will get you almost 20hp also. The engine should have 4 bolt mains and if the bottom end is in good shape, it should run at least 40lbs of oil pressure with the factory pump. If you want more, change to a high volume pump for about 60lbs while you have it out of the blazer. good luck. SQZBOX.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.