Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i try to figure out how much HP my engine have. i am sure your all better that me to figure it out :pain:
my cars is a 1979 pontiac parisienne.

the engine is a chevy 305 2bbl. (my estimate 120-140 hp)

i made the following modification all by my self like a big boy.

removed the catalytic coverter (my estimate add 5-10hp)
change the muffler for one with direct flow (add 5-10hp)
and reverse the air cover filter (5-10hp again)

so my estimate give me something like 135-170hp

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
That motor, assuming it's in good condition makes about 170 horsepower to the crank. If the cat was clogged you gained some power, if not then eh, I'll give you 5. Probably 10 for the muffler and 5 for the filter cover. So you should be at about 185-190 at the crank.

·
The lean mean donut machine
386 Posts
You're probably about right, I'd say maybe 140 hp. By air cover filter, do you mean the lid of the air cleaner? If so I doubt it would do anything to increase performance. Are you looking to improve the power of the engine at all? If so I have some experience with 305s so I may be able to help you out.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
What flipping the lid on the air breather assembly? Going from one little snorkel to and exposed element certainly helps a little.

I used to have a site saved that had a dyno result for a stock 305, 80 Caprice. It made 144hp at the rear wheels. Assuming yours made a little less because of the two barrel I put you at 170 at the crank, not wheels.

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,624 Posts
Get a 600 CFM 4bbl; vacuum secondaries is what I'd do next. If ya need a new intake manifold, get an edelbrock. That's assuming you have money to spend.

I love big cars, good luck on the Caprice. My cousin has an old '80s stule coupe that has a funky rear window (think of those Monte Carlo Aerocoupes form the 80s). Sadly, he doesn't know how to take care of it and it's rusty. I believe it's qite a rare car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i knot it look bad but it's run very great. i will rebuilt the car minus the interior this spring. bcauz i must work outside and winter is rough here in quebec. calcium have done a lot of damage over d years . i will take this time to learn much was i can.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.