Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of boxing my frame with 1/8" steel and for additional support I am adding some box truss pattern inside the frame .. So much power can these frames take , Stock / Boxed / Boxed + Truss ?
Tonythefish

·
Lost in the 60's
15,245 Posts
Well considering it is probably the most popular frame in rodding and has been built and run with every engine build imaginable........I would say that it can take an awful lot.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agree , I just got back from the steel shop that is going to cut me out some boxing plates . He showed me a 10 gauge sample ...wow I did not realize how thick it was . I am not sure I can bend it to keep it near the frame when I weld it .

Question , Will I be able to make the bend to keep it near the frame ? Or should I go with 14 gauge ? I see all these boxing kits are 10 gauge on line ...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Something you might want to keep in mind, with the short wheel base, and lots of power, its hard to keep them straight when you get right on it.

Good luck on your venture.

Rob

Chassis, Body Jig, Trunk Pan Pics.
http://webpages.charter.net/2manitowoc

Paint booth, Ventilation, etc.
http://www.2manitowoc.com/paintroom.html

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Hey man! Is that an original frame you're fooling with?

You can buy boxing plates cut to fit a 32 frame from several different vendors. They are made for original crossmembers and K-members, for non-original crossmembers and X-members, and so on.
Don't waste your time and money jacking with "making" them up when you can get em ready to weld in.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
If you're like me, and cheap and dont mind a little bit of work, save yourself some bucks for other cool go-fast goodies and make 'em yourself.
First time I did it was on an A frame. Its getting a mild SBC, I think 10 gauge on '32 rails sholuld handle quite a stout engine.

Mike

·
Registered
5,653 Posts

Many years ago ( 30 or so :) ) when my Roadster was in this configuration ... it was a 427 BBC ... aluminum heads and 3 deuces ... about 500 HP ...

Now that I have grown older, wiser and calmed down :rolleyes: ... it is ONLY 430 Horsepower now ... but with the NOS nitrous bottle turned on ... it is closer to 600 or so.

The Roadster frame is boxed and braced pretty well. The above frame shown is actually the one for my 32 3W ... but it is the same as the one under the Roadster.

I believe a 32 Ford chassis, properly boxed and braced ... will hold just about anything that is " streetable " on today's pump gas ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts