Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story short,I put a stock 350 with an Edelbrock C3BX dual plane 600 vac sec holley in a S10 for my kid. Mommy was worried it would get him in trouble so I had to cut some power, The way I did it was cast iron low po manifolds
2 inch outlets both sides into basicaly a U bend with a 2 inch outlet in the center of the U hooked into the stock 4.3 exhaust. Moms happy I ain't how bad do you think this killed the power? Low gear will fry the tires but after that it dosn't feel much better than the 4.3. I'm thinking at least 50 h.p am I close?

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
Define "stock" :) Is it a 1970 LT-1 kinda stock, or a 1980 Caprice 165 hp kinda stock? :)

If its a typical lo-po 350, then you don't have much to worry about. Stock manifolds aren't much of a restriction on the lower HP 350s. Once you get up in the 250-hp range then I might think they would restrict 25-35. At 350 hp I would think they could kill 50 hp easily.

I think its the perfect thing... way to go dad :) You've given him a good safe performance basis and then as he gets more experienced you two can add performance parts as a father-son project. That's exactly how my dad and I did it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
curtis73 said:
I think its the perfect thing... way to go dad :) You've given him a good safe performance basis and then as he gets more experienced you two can add performance parts as a father-son project. That's exactly how my dad and I did it.
I agree. I laugh when I read posts from 16 year old kids wanting to build a 500hp 11 second car before they even have their license.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys,it was really hard not to throw on my ported angle plug 292 turbo heads and the solid roller I had laying around from last years race car.But mamma kept me sane, said if she saw the front tires leave the ground I was in big doo doo .

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,734 Posts
Put em in your stock car one night. Let the other drivers know he's a rookie and hope he starts up front. A few laps around other cars getting banged around seems to help :D

(They realize they ain't what they thought)

·
Footbraker
693 Posts
johnsongrass1 said:
Put em in your stock car one night. Let the other drivers know he's a rookie and hope he starts up front. A few laps around other cars getting banged around seems to help :D

(They realize they ain't what they thought)
LOL, quick lesson in humility :D

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
I started my first car build when I was 15- 1 450 hp Olds Cutlas convertable.. and well I did start driving liek a champ right off the line, but I think it was because I assembled it all and knew how it went together and respected it. I can scare the crap out of peopleon the twisties, but its onlybeacuse I understand how the car is moving, not just a gas pedal and a steering wheel.

Also- my buddy who's been in racing go carts since he was 5 drives pretty damn well too- ever since he got his liscense.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thought about putting him in it, But I made that mistake once with a brother inlaw.He kept telling me how easy it was to drive i.e he would just floor it and go, well I got tired of his b.s and put him in, he came out of turn one hammered 600 horse 406 on 8 inch tires. went straight into the wall scared him so bad we couldn't find him for an hour. It was almost worth the cost of rebuilding the front end.parts $300.00, look on his face Priceless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts