Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much power is to MUCH?

I'm really not talking about Drap/Strip/Track apps (I'd love to hear your input though). I'm talking about the almost daily drive hot rod but more of a "Saturday Night Special". Also I'm not to intuned to what the general laws are when come to power? Ive got a 383 that Ive been told will output almost 490HP/485Trq (when I put the NOS on there that I'm planning, thats like 700HP).
Please give your input.

Thanks,
Stroke

·
Pure American Muscle
684 Posts
All depends on the person really. There are lots of guys driving around in blown 454's. Sometimes when you make that much power to only use it on the strip but to me I would say as long as you can handle it on the street. Things to think about are brakes and idle and the actually handleing of your car. If you think that you can handle whatever power you put out then your fine. It all has to do with the driver and his set up.

Chris

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
Depends on amount of rubber under the car (at both ends) and brakes. More important is the CPU behind the wheel, it's speed and OS stability is far more important than whats under the hood.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think if your going to have something very radical under the hood then you should have something that can handle the power such as suspension, brakes, and all the other good stuff. There is a guy around here with a 72 Chevelle with a stroked 454 and about 300 shot of nitrous. On dyno with nitrous he had 1,150 horses minus nitrous he has about 850 horses, but he also has 4 wheel disc brakes, fully restored car inside and out including all polyurethane bushings. So he has the power but also he has the stopping and suspension to do it with.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
There is a guy around here with a 72 Chevelle with a stroked 454 and about 300 shot of nitrous. On dyno with nitrous he had 1,150 horses minus nitrous he has about 850 horses, but he also has 4 wheel disc brakes, fully restored car inside and out including all polyurethane bushings. So he has the power but also he has the stopping and suspension to do it with
I'd like to see some pics of all this.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree with Black Sheep.

Too much power is analogous to too much sex. There is no such state or condition. So for the sake of mathematical accuracy let's just use infinity as our number.....

Wally

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I gotta agree w/ the whole sex thing, but is 1150HP in a Chevelle a bit much (yes, I would also like to see pictures of that). Dont get me wrong, if your running track times every weekend 1150HP could be amuetur. But if your just going out to screw w/ some punks in ricers, then surely a lower number is acceptable. Let me know what your running (ci,hp,trq,etc...)?

Stroke

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Well, I already have more tq/hp than leaf springs and 9" tires can deal with and I want more. There's never enough power for me. If 6000hp is just right for 17" tires then 3000hp should be just about right for mine right?

Nitrous might be viewed by some as the laziest way to get more power. I love it because I can afford it, it's easy to install and I was able to build a fairly docile engine, and really needed it, to take advantage of the go-juice.

I hate it because it's hard on parts but that's the price you pay for horsepower of any kind.

Larry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.