Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 350 from a salvage yard to go in my 72 c10.It is stock with a casting # 3970010 on the block behind the left head.The stamped # on the right front pad in front of the head is gone.How does that #get removed?Maybe from a machine shop decking the top of the block?I found a red and white tag on the left side of the block under the head.The tag has no other name on it just REMANUFACTURED #394415.The heads have a 14014416 casting # on them under the valve cover.Mortec site shows them to be 305 heads uch!!!I have some camel hump heads #3782461 i could use on this motor.How much HP would i gain? I also have a Performer alumiumn intake i could use.How sick will the motor be if i use the 305 heads that are on it now?Please help!

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,304 Posts
416 heads are plain old stocker smogger heads. Nothing special, but also not terrible. Camel humps are a slight bit better. They were the hot stock head in the 60s, so compared to modern heads they are pretty average. I would do a compression test and maybe take a peek in a spark plug hole to determine if we're dealing with flat top or dished pistons. Its possible that they put 305 heads on to raise compression during the rebuild. That (and your goals) will have an effect on how much chamber volume you want

What's the budget?

·
Registered
590 Posts
I hate threads like these....for various reasons.....

Look, get your budget together, get your cam specs, exhaust, etc... get your intended use, and screw HP. It's not all about HP. I can show you cars with less dyno numbers wipe higher HP cars off the street because they were set up right. Build the right combo, not the cool combo.

Forget screwing shiny new heads on something and think it's going to be the solution. Think this through in total first, THEN you can start asking about which KIND of parts, not which BRAND of parts you should be looking at.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.