Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was gifted this from a friend's estate. Lack of a pop top pushes the date of manufacture toward earlyish sixties, maybe mid as far as I can tell from the web. Anybody into that and want to take a stab at the age? It doesn't look older than me but could be.

Tin Tin can Food Drinkware Drink

Road surface Asphalt Paint Drink Cylinder

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,313 Posts
The upside-down picture suggests that it meets a criteria for a specification "Cal #1289-66A." I can't find anything about the board of S&A or the specification, but the 66 might indicate that the law/spec was created in 66. If we know that the pop top started around 70, if we can find out when that "cal" spec was put in place, we can narrow it down a bit more.

·
Banned
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found this, supposedly from a '68 Road & Track... lower price, same lid. Must be smog era. Saw some with metal screw on lid. Maybe pop tops were just on oil treatment?

Ah, nothing like trivial automotive pursuit as an exercise in futility. I'll be danged if I can put a year on it. Entirely possible the formula is from '66 like me. The gibberish around that spec # includes an NYFD reference, perhaps thats some standard established by the New York Fire Department? :unsure:

·
Banned
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah "Fights Air Pollution" does kinda scream smog era. My can has a witness mark on top from a price tag but says 75 cents on the label and I thought it was a dollar or more by then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts