Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night the kids were discussing (semi joking) who gets what car on my demise. I theorized that at 64, I've got about 10yr left to play with the 32 highboy or the Corvette, before the body will just not allow me to crawl under it to even change oil. Or climb into it for a drive for that matter. Then the kids can have a lottery on who gets them.

Are there any 70's or 80's guys out there still pulling engines, bent over a fender changing plugs? Right now just changing oil causes a trip to the chiropractor for me!!

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,464 Posts
Everyone is different. I have a guy who comes by here at 75 years old celebrated by he and his wife riding a tandem bike around Lake Tahoe! That's 75 miles folks!

Look at Bill Hines, he's 90! :D

Brian

·
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought
829 Posts
My boss at work just turned 85, he runs every morning, shovels snow off his driveway and helps with projects in the shop.

He says staying active, mind & body, is the key to staying young.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
who u call'n old sonny boy...

tell your kids they can have your car when THEY retire for u are selling the plot and have other plans.. we have a fella in his 80's in the T bucket club... i'm 66 and don't plan on stopping yet. i'm looking forward to selling the bucket and starting on my old truck project... so u ain't old till u just give up..

·
Administrator
8,552 Posts
As long as you able and willing , Age dont matter, even if you are only willing to work on the hotrod but physically cant, get the kids to help.
When your in a pine box, then your a little too old.:thumbup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everyone is different. I have a guy who comes by here at 75 years old celebrated by he and his wife riding a tandem bike around Lake Tahoe! That's 75 miles folks!

Look at Bill Hines, he's 90! :D

Brian

Didn't know hobbits worked on hotrods::D Seriously, how in the world can Bill get up after sitting on his knees on a concrete floor!!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Carroll Shelby was 89 when he passed - he might not have been working on his cars, but he was driving them. He was 81 when they introduced that prototype Shelby Cobra and he drove that on the track at speed and did donuts with it!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well, I know for a fact that you have to be older than 68 (which I was on 12/01/2012).

My wife (of 46 years) swears that I'll be "working in that darn garage" until the day I die. I am sure planning on it! :cool:

Good Lord willing, I'll go with a wrench in hand. Hopefully, not anytime soon, although I am sorta' anxious to see the ABSOLUTELY PERFECT hinge gaps on the Pearly Gates!!!:thumbup::thumbup: Lord knows that I'll never see them on my '63 T'Bird!!:rolleyes:

Tom

·
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA
1,146 Posts
When I go I wish it to be with a fishing rod in hand :D, great big lake trout.

I cant hold or work a braze rod properly anyhow, and I gave up cigar smoke too. Luv that pic brian

There wont be much to will out or for the kids to fight over :p cause once I am feeling old in (90 years)

I am gonna run every car/sled/quad/truck/boat/kite/bike/plane right into the ground just to get one more spark out of it.

Point being you are never too old, keep keeping the rubber side down folks!

·
Registered
547 Posts
That's only for you to decide when your going to stop.. I'll stop when they throw dirt on top me..:D
This pretty much how I see it,, I've been playin with cars since I was in diapers ( or flour sacks ) of some kind, either a toy or real,,,
I still work on some kind of project everyday, altho alot less than I would like,, thats what keeps me going,
I have 2 grown sons that love cars as much as I do,, but are seemingly too busy to help me when I need it,, They have their own agendas now,,
If I croke they will be fighting over what ever is left,, but I have no intention of rolling over anytime soon..

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,464 Posts
I remember telling my ex-wife when she was beaching about me working on my cars "There are a lot of things that I may change about my life but I will ALWAYS be working on cars". And sure enough, she is long gone and it's a couple of decades later and here I am working on car in my back yard. :D

Brian

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Why should there be any age limit to playing with cars? Heck, I helped Ol Chris Columbus load his ships and am always working on something in my shop. I visited a long time friend (50+ years) yesterday - and I mean even older then me - and on his shop floor is a spotless '49 Ford Club Coupe, 8BA flathead powered, a '30 Ford Speedster with a 'full race' 'A' engine as well as a spare built engine on a stand, a second flathead fully built but a 59A, a 383 Chevy, a 3/4 midget. Then there are the spare parts. Then to make life interesting, he is opening a speed shop in March similar to one he had in the late '50s and '60s. So, with that said, age is only a mindset.

·
Registered
305 Posts
WORDS TO LIVE BY:

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!":evil:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.