Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just picked up a 63 belair for little more that a song. It is a complete car, except for the title, which is apparently unattainable. Any way, it will be a good for parting out and making a few $$$$$$$. What I was wondering is how rare is the factory a/c on a 63? Any input will be appreciated.
rick

·
Glad the Jeep is on the road
809 Posts
I don't have the numbers handy to reference, but factory AC in the early 60s was just on the dressed up cars -- I would guess 25%-35%, maybe less depending on your part of the country. My dad had an ex-factory-exec 64 with AC, I didn't ride in another until he bought a dressed out 73.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pmeisel,
Thanks for the post. I searched it out but didn't find anything but just production numbers. Nothing with production with a/c. Was hoping someone would know a web site with that info. rick

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,847 Posts
For a restorer who wants AC the factory parts are necessary. Otherwise an aftermarket system will be better. So you may find mixed opinions on the factory components. The good thing is they used better quality build and materials on those things -- I'm using the original in car components (housing, vents, expansion valve, evaporator) on a 63 Rambler with a modern Sanden compressor and condensor. You have to have hoses made (new components use o-rings, old ones beveled seats), but everything works even with R-134a.

As pmeisel said, AC was rather rare in those days for most cars. 20-25% would be my guess. Depends a LOT on what part of the country though! There will be a higher percentage of southwest cars with AC than more northerly (cooler) locations, and more high end cars (like the top of the line Bel Air). you have to remember, AC was like a $600 option back then, and a mid range Chevy would have only set you back around $3,000 -- $600 is another 20% of the cost of the car w/o AC!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.