Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where sheet metal is overlapped and spot welded around rear wheel openings, they sometimes have rust in between the two sheets. I have a simlar question about the bottom edge of crimped door seams. Can these be chemically stripped of rust, flushed out and epoxy sprayed?

What is the correct or best way to arrest the rust so it does not appear through the metal and paint in the future?

If the joint is bad enough to require repair, are the weld through primers actually succesful for their intended purpose?

I waded through the POR15 bar-fight, and know less than I did before. I've seen rust crack concrete, so I think a paint product is hopeless unless rust is gone.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Firebird---First let me point out that I am not a pro body man but I have been a metal worker all my adult life and I have done some complete restorations(mustangs). I have recently done a lot of research on the "magic rust cures" and to be honest they really do seem to be more hype than fact if you look at the realities instead of the sales bu!!#%^^. You are facing the same problems I had with the rust in the overlapped joints and there is just no way any kind of cover-up solution is going to reach in between those seams and stop the rust, it is nonsense to say otherwise. What I did was to drill out the spot welds,remove the rust, spray with weld thru coating and then re-weld the panels. This may seem like a lot of work but it is less work than redoing your project when the rust that was hidden in the seams comes back to haunt you! The por fans can say what they want but even if the stuff works on surface rust it will do nothing for the real problem.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It's always kind of a hard thing to say but the only real way to stop rust is to get rid of it. Covering it, even with a 'converter' is a band aid at best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts