Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw many different ways to handle this. Only want to paint the top part of the door as the black paint is flaking off in some areas. Just finished sanding off all the loose paint. Im told that removing all the paint isn't needed.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,312 Posts
Removing all the paint and clear that is part of what has failed is always recommended. It failed where it peeled right, well for the rest to fail is likely down the road. That being said, if what is there is feathering nice it may be healthy enough for a coat of primer and paint over it to hold it forever. This is a gamble, that's all there is to it, a gamble. It really depends on how good that stuff is feathering out and how it looks at that feathering as to how well it's attached to the paint under it.

Brian

Reactions: Coodeville

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Removing all the paint and clear that is part of what has failed is always recommended. It failed where it peeled right, well for the rest to fail is likely down the road. That being said, if what is there is feathering nice it may be healthy enough for a coat of primer and paint over it to hold it forever. This is a gamble, that's all there is to it, a gamble. It really depends on how good that stuff is feathering out and how it looks at that feathering as to how well it's attached to the paint under it.

Brian
Ive sanded more off and the metal underneath is beautiful. Im going to strip it to the metal. This is my hearse and its had a lot of bad touch up work done to it. You can tell certain sections are 1k rattle can. The plan is now epoxy, surfacer, basecoat and then clear.

·
16,312 Posts
Remove the moulding, handle, lock cylinder, emblem and mirror and it will be much easier.

Brian

Reactions: Bonneville462

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Remove the moulding, handle, lock cylinder, emblem and mirror and it will be much easier.

Brian
Everthing is actually off now except the moulding. Once you take that off it never goes back on correctly. And if the clips break.........good luck. Some things should just be masked.

·
16,312 Posts
The clips are available, but if you can tape off the moulding so you don't mess it up sanding so tight next to it, it can be ok. The "best" way is to remove the moulding. But often you need to do what I call the "bestest" way, if you sand up real close to it removing any loose paint that could fail, you will be ok.

Brian

Reactions: Coodeville

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have a source for the clips? Ive searched online and at brick and mortar suppliers. Most of them told me its too old now to stock or even get

·
16,312 Posts
I'm sorry, I don't, I would think the they are out there. Back then they used the same ones on many model GM cars. What is the year of your Cad, I am thinking 1976?

Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts