Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Got Ouzo for touzo
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK first let me say, I'm in the planning stages of building my '33 Chevrolet. I have seen the craze over IRS suspensions. Also let me tell you, this will be a LOW BUCK project.

I have in my back yard a, 1984 300ZX.... Long story, it wasn't mine:) Anyways we are parting it out, and it has a IRS. Are they strong enough to put up with a mild SBC (like 300-350HP) ? These 300Z's were a turbo car, so imagine they cannot be all that bad. I'm not planning on building a fast car, just a cruiser. Would this rear set-up work? Looks easy enough to install.

Another question, if this rear ends up being too wide ( I can't imagine it being narrower) could you get shortened drive axles? I do not have the '33 at my place yet, so I cannot measure until the weekend. A buddy threw out the idea, and it sounds good. Just wanna hear some opinions before I look further.

bonuts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Check the width to make it will fit. Shortening the drive axles isn't really an option unless you can re-engineer the suspension geometry to work with the shorter axles.
Another thing to consider is parts availabilty and cost... If it does fit and you need to rebuild it check into prices before you go to far...
Consider using a mid to late 80's T-Bird or Cougar IRS. They are just about perfect width wise, parts are readily available and they are a dime a dozen in a yard... I picked one up for $150 dollars. Complete...

·
Got Ouzo for touzo
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats not what I wanted to hear! Anyways back to the drawing board.

I just noticed this is in the wrong area too, guess it should have been in the Tranny/Diff forum.

bonuts

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.