Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have been driving manuals for years and like how you can slow down by simply letting off gas, upshifting, because the gears are "locked" there until you tell it what to do. Today I seafoamed my motor and was running around high rpm and noticed with my TH400, first gear does this! It "locks" in and slows the truck down when I let off. I installed headers and they are open for now so I may have noticed this before but now it sounds obvious now. My question, what is this called how first stays engaged and how do I get all gears to do this. I understand down highway it will be like hitting brakes, I will get used to not letting off gas all the way unless I want to. Is this same as convert my th400 to a race trans with a shift kit?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Crap I think I found my answer and I had a feeling I had known this....

Is it the manual valve body I'm looking for perhaps??!!

Sorry all this was a dumb post, at least I posted in basics lol

Maybe someone could point me in direction of which one lets you get out and switch it back to auto mode, I've heard about that before

·
More for Less Racer
19,498 Posts
If you want it to stay in a specific gear until you move the shifter, and not shift itself up or down automatically there are a couple of ways to do tis. One is a full manual valvebody that you install in place of your stock valvebody, the other is a valvebody reprogramming kit("shift kit") that you install into your stock valvebody.

If you choose the shift kit route, just make sure the kit advertises "full manual control" as one of the ways the kit can be installed....some are just "shift improver" kits that make it shift into each gear grab harder, but don't do anything to allow full manual control.

Some of the reprogramming kits allow full manual control in 1st and 2nd gear, while still being capable of shifting itself automatically in Drive.

TransGo kits are probably considered the best.
B&M and Fairbanks also have selectable manual conversion kits.
The Fairbanks TransAction kit is also listed as Superior #20812

1 - 3 of 3 Posts