Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
CLICK ON MY AVATAR
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a standard height for tall valve covers?These are for a 350 sbc.Thanks bm

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
How tall is tall?

Several aftermarket companies that make rocker covers make ones that are taller to accomodate exotic valve trains and radical high lift cams. However, if you are running a somewhat high lift cam, say under .550" lift and dont have stud girdles etc on your rocker arms, and you are concerned about rocker arm clearance with the rocker cover, the easiest way to take care of that is to use neoprene rocker cover gaskets that are sandwiched with a strip of sheetmetal inside them, and double gasket your cover.
Put a smear of Silicon on the gaskets before you put them together. This will asssist in preventing any possible leaks between the two gaskets. Its much less expensive and does the job just as well.
The after market tall rocker covers are anywhere from 1/4" to 1" taller than the stock units.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
I run stid girdles. I have a set of circle track tall valve covers. They just barely clear. I think the tall valve covers vary in height. You can call the manufacturers to get specs.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Valve Covers

The standard chrome replacements like Mr.Gasket & Summitt have are like 3 15/16" tall, just under 4" if that helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts