everything else look like there in working condition
before drope an engine in it
how can i make sure everything is working

i have a battery and a starter for engine

thanks

·
Registered
628 Posts
Lay all the wiring out, about where it's supposed to go (naturally it would help to have a wiring diagram handy). Doesn't hurt to label the connections if they're just going to hang there loose. Anything that's black with an eyelet terminal is probably a ground and should be screwed to a ground. Anything else, hang so it doesn't touch anything.

Power to the distributor, to the starter, elec. choke or whatever else it has, either label it or just know what it is.

Power it up by hooking the battery terminals to a CHARGER set on low amps, NOT a battery. There will be so much less fireworks when you short something out.

Then with a tester that works (did you buy it from O'Reillys? It may not...) check all your power. Does the ignition have power with the key on, but not with it off and such. Have somebody twist the starter key and check those wires.

When it's all sorted out, leave the lables on so you're not figuring it out all over again when the motor goes in. Chances are you'll be lengthening/shortening a few things at that point also.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its an old car a 70 chevelle no ac
no engine in it
and im wondering if the wiring is good and complet before go foward
someone did a dash swap before , ss dash
when i look under the hood , feel like there is less wires than my other cars
( wires thats going at the engine starter side )

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,699 Posts
not many wires to the motor on a 70 chevelle
wire from ignition to ballast resistor to coil; hot with ignition on
wire from ignition to starter solenoid; hot with key turned to start
wire from starter solenoid to coil; hot when starter solenoid energized
not much else other than gauge wires

i'd worry more about blinkers, brakes and light wires with a dash swap

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.