Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
206 Posts
I would think You need a more rigid alternator bracket. The bracket starts off true but when you put a lot of tension on it, it's probably flexing the bracket and pulling the alternator out of alignment, which in turn causes the belt to pull towards the front of the pulley. Gilmer belts dont need to be tight just snug to stop jumping teeth @ high RPM.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Been there done that. As noted, you really beed a good strong alternator bracket. If you run headers on an SBC, the Header Power Bracket is the strongest (and nicest) made and was designed exactly with that application in mind from my car.

If the belt walks forward you may be able to shim the front of the mount outward a bit to cancel this movement. Also notice how I do the "double J-Bars" with the 1/2" spacers for additional rigidity.

HEADER POWER BRACKET       - Home

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would think You need a more rigid alternator bracket. The bracket starts off true but when you put a lot of tension on it, it's probably flexing the bracket and pulling the alternator out of alignment, which in turn causes the belt to pull towards the front of the pulley. Gilmer belts dont need to be tight just snug to stop jumping teeth @ high RPM.
ok thanks :thumbup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been there done that. As noted, you really beed a good strong alternator bracket. If you run headers on an SBC, the Header Power Bracket is the strongest (and nicest) made and was designed exactly with that application in mind from my car.

If the belt walks forward you may be able to shim the front of the mount outward a bit to cancel this movement. Also notice how I do the "double J-Bars" with the 1/2" spacers for additional rigidity.

HEADER POWER BRACKET****** - Home
ok thanks :thumbup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

HEADER POWER BRACKET****** - Home
is this a good bracket to use?

Attachments

206 Posts
I would say it depends on how & where it's made and the cost could play a part. If you put a dial indicator to the back of the alternator, and or if you can move it around 30 thousands or more that would appear to be your issue, if you check some of the sites where they use this set up of belt on boats you may see that what everyone has posted for you appears to be the solution . The guys in the everglades & other boars use the same belt system .. as stated by those who replied .. the alternator can not move . Hope you find a a solution.. have a Merry christmas & a Happy New year.. :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.