Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 87 camaro with the 700r4 and i need to know how to adjust the tv cable. when i drive it, it only shifts when the rpms are pertty high and only when i let off teh gas.

·
Registered
169 Posts
with the engine off, depress the "D" shaped holder on the carb/TBI. Pull the cable back toward the transmission. Press the accelerator to the floor and it will adjust itself. O.K. that's what the book says (paraphrased). Some of the time you'll have to move it a click or two in either direction until it shifts properly.

·
Administrator
9,806 Posts
Push the button release of the cable, have a second person push the gas pedal to the floor & hold ( engine off).... release the button on the cable.

The other mentioned procedure can bend parts in the tranny if the cable does not automatically adjust easily.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Crosley said:
Push the button release of the cable, have a second person push the gas pedal to the floor & hold ( engine off).... release the button on the cable.

The other mentioned procedure can bend parts in the tranny if the cable does not automatically adjust easily.
O.K. now that would have been nice to know. My book seems to have omitted that part.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
I dont see why you need two people as the throttle lever on the throttle body should be right there next to the D shape button.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I am not talking about the lever at the throttle body.
This one is inside the transmission.
The lock tab on the TV cable is released before any adjustments are made.
One person inside floors the accelerator pedal while the other person looks to see if the carb/ throttle body is opening all the way.
If it isn't the bracket can be bent to make this happen.
Or if it is too tight and fully opening before the accelerator cable has reached it's max travel this too can be adjusted.
This can have a detrimental affect on engine and transmission performance.
Now the TV can be adjusted.
With the accelerator floored the tab is engaged.
This assures the gas pedal, carb/ throttle body and transmission are on the same wave length.
The vehicle is then road tested and shift points are recorded.
If a bit higher or lower shift points are required it is an easy job to move the TV cable a bit one way or the other. One click or two is usually all that is needed.

3,214 Posts
Siggy_Freud said:
I dont see why you need two people as the throttle lever on the throttle body should be right there next to the D shape button.
I have tried it by myself, but either my arms are shorter than yours, or my legs are longer. I can't reach under the hood to the TV cable and still push down the accelerator pedal.

People take it for granted that they are getting full throttle when the pedal is pushed to the floor. In many cases, that is not true. If the throttle does not open all of the way with the pedal, you will not have passing gear and the shifts will be early if you use the throttle linkage under the hood to adjust the TV cable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My first reply on this site.
Great answers to the question, how to adjust cable. That saves me from having to ask the question.
I've got another question about the torque converter so I guess I'll start a new post.

Thanks all,

p.s. I can see I'm going to learn a lot visiting this site,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts