Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have a 1934 ford street rod and am trying to make adjustments on the headlights.
I believe they may be King Bee headlights. On a 34 ford the light sits on top of
a base that is bolted down through the fender. Inside the pot of the light is a slot
that holds the threaded rod that goes down through the base & then through the fender. The slot in the pot
is where you can adjust the height of the light . You adjust the light in the slot where you
want & then tighten down the threaded rod on the underside of the fender.
The problem i am having is when i tighten the threaded rod underneath the fender
the headlight goes back to the same position as it was before i adjusted it .
I have tried shimming the light with the same results. One area i am looking at is where the threaded rod goes through the fender brace
on the underside of the fender. I am wondering if the hole in the fender brace might need to be reamed out a bit towards the front
part of the hole & maybe that would allow the threaded rod to be a little straighter as opposed to the threaded rod leaning a bit forward
which is making my headlight tip down too far. I,m not sure if this is what,s causing the problem . I didn,t want to ream out the hole before i am sure that is whats causing the problem . Just wondering if anyone out there has ever had this problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Fordman

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hello
I have a 1934 ford street rod and am trying to make adjustments on the headlights.
I believe they may be King Bee headlights. On a 34 ford the light sits on top of
a base that is bolted down through the fender. Inside the pot of the light is a slot
that holds the threaded rod that goes down through the base & then through the fender. The slot in the pot
is where you can adjust the height of the light . You adjust the light in the slot where you
want & then tighten down the threaded rod on the underside of the fender.
The problem i am having is when i tighten the threaded rod underneath the fender
the headlight goes back to the same position as it was before i adjusted it .
I have tried shimming the light with the same results. One area i am looking at is where the threaded rod goes through the fender brace
on the underside of the fender. I am wondering if the hole in the fender brace might need to be reamed out a bit towards the front
part of the hole & maybe that would allow the threaded rod to be a little straighter as opposed to the threaded rod leaning a bit forward
which is making my headlight tip down too far. I,m not sure if this is what,s causing the problem . I didn,t want to ream out the hole before i am sure that is whats causing the problem . Just wondering if anyone out there has ever had this problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Fordman
I've had a fendered 34 and I'd guess the cup on the top of the 34 fender headlight mount or the thinner ball on the headlight has deformed. I'd simi tighten the headlight down near the desired position and rotate the headlight back and forth and check the wear pattern on the two surfaces. My experience with the 34 and other hi boy headlights is some of this is not unusual.

·
Registered
78 Posts

I had a friend who was going thru the same problem what we did was got regular h6014 halogen sealed beams and put them inside the housings but we put the headlight adjusters and mounts and then put the covers back on
we achieved adjustment from inside the housing rather than the usual way to gain adjustment. its a longer path
but it got some bright lighting and totally concealed behind the original lenses.

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
Moving to Hotrodding Basics forum.... THe Community Help forum you posted to: That is for problems or questions about the Hotrodding Forum , not for tech questions

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had a fendered 34 and I'd guess the cup on the top of the 34 fender headlight mount or the thinner ball on the headlight has deformed. I'd simi tighten the headlight down near the desired position and rotate the headlight back and forth and check the wear pattern on the two surfaces. My experience with the 34 and other hi boy headlights is some of this is not unusual.
Thanks for the tips. I cut out a LITTLE of the back part of the slot in the bottom of the headlight bucket. That seems to have solved the problem. Just take off a little at a time & keep trying the light.
Thanks
Fordman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.