Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks, My son is 20 years old, and LOVES to work on cars. We've restored a '66 Mustang and built a Sebring MX (by Classic Roadsters). . . . Came across this site recently, and thought that maybe we could get some guidance here. . . . Bottom line, Jake is talented and hard-working, and he wants to build cars.

Question(s): What training does he need? Where is the best place to acquire that training? In short, how does a 20-year-old enter the 'car-building' industry?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Walt

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Start by making friends with guys with shops.I knew what I was doing early,from a grandfather and dad who worked on cars.So I would hang out at shops and sweep floors,run errands and just hang-out talking shop.Eventually I was doing grunt work at a shop here,pulling parts for the guys that owned the shop.I ended up walking away from the rod shops to truck mechanic because of the $$$$$ and insurance.

·
Be American, Buy American!
222 Posts
About the Campus | WyoTech
Overhaulin' at WyoTech. More than 30 of WyoTech's, Laramie Campus students & teachers were featured on The Learning Channel's new Overhaulin' series. Click here to read more... Three New Campuses. ... Since 1962, WyoTech - Fremont, formerly named Sequoia Institute, has been putting people on the fast ... Throughout its history, WyoTech has kept its instructors abreast of the latest ...
www.sequoiainstitute.edu - 20k - Cached - More from this site

This may spark a little interest.

Al

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Machinist school!!

I certainly would recommend he go to school to be a machinist..we have a shortage of people who can fabricate parts..these are good jobs that pay well and he will have the needed skills to build the cars he chooses to build..

If I had it to do over this is what I would have done..

Check on the schools and technical colleges in your area..there may be one that has this sort of schooling..:thumbup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
yes deffinantly check out WYOTech, thats where i plan to go. I wanna take collision and repair, Hot Rod Fab, and an engine course. I think it was around $20,000 for what i wanted, and thats 9 months i think.

There is also another one around Pennsylvania area that i cant remember the name of. So i'll see what that one is and get back to you. What i've heard of that School is that, u can pick a car, build a motor, and they will GIVE u any parts you need. THats just what i've heard so, that may be wrong info.

But overall, find a Tech school to go to.

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
Send him to an occupational center where they teach autobody. Here in california they charge under a hundred bucks per semester for 20 week course. Good way to find out if he's REALLY interested in doing body work. Good luck, hope your son makes you proud.

·
I dun learned sumthin
248 Posts
From what I've heard is Wyotech is rediculously over priced for what you get. You can go to a lot of local tech schools and get a very good education in a lot of things. With Wyotech you pay a lot for a name I think.

·
Registered
56 chev on 79 chassis, 62 LeSabre
3,141 Posts
it's good but if it's overpriced then maybe it's not all that great. i know for example that i went to Oklahoma state tech they had the nation's #1 deisle school at the time and instrumentation. i took neither, but electrical. i feel i could have learned the same from just about anywhere instead of going 1500 miles from home and having to live in the dorms for a year. i have just heard that our local Skagit Valley Com College is very top rated for automotive at the CC level. i don't even have to leave the farm.

3,214 Posts
My son decided that he wanted to be a mechanic. I told him that was fine, as long as he went to school. He checked at the local community college, and found that there was a program that was supported by Ford. It was called the "Ford Asset Program". They had certain classes that they had to take, and also worked at a Ford dealership, as an apprentice. I know several people that went through that program, including a father and son that work at the same dealership.

You might check with the local community college and see if they have such a program. They are not normally publicized.

·
Registered
547 Posts
My son and I have a rod shop in Oregon,, and I am actively looking for a n apprentice to work with him,,too bad you live clear across the U.S. I would be glad to give him a chance , good people are very hard to find,, and the majority of the young guys looking to get into building cars and have worked for a rod shop, I would not be interested in hireing,,mainly because I would rather find a young man that is really interested in learning the craft,, not for the so called glory job of working in a rod shop, which alot of the young guys think it is,, its not,, its a dedacation to learning a skill, and wanting to learn,,
we build one car at a time, along with smaller jobs, I am not interested in having a large shop, just a high quality shop,
Wyotech is VERY expensive,, my son wanted to go there and we checked it out,, you are looking at spending at least 35 to 40 K to graduate from there,, then find a job,,, lots do find jobs but more do not,, some of the more popular shops have been hiring graduates , but the jobs are scarce,, its not like finding a job doing tuneups on hondas,,
I guess my advise would be to go to some small shops and talk to the owners,, I think most owners would rather have someone that hads a good attitude, and is really interested in learning, and of course has some basic skills,, it might help to go to a welding course, and learn how to weld ,,both mig and especally tig, the rest will come,with time,, I don't think a high production shop would be the place to start, you won't learn anything and they won't take the time to teach you,, take a look at my project journal,,, we are working on a 36 chev sedan now,,I hope to start a new journal soon ,,
GOOD LUCK hope you find what you are looking for,, BILL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I'm also interested in a career in car building. I already know a good deal about cars with hands on working experience. Most difficult thing I've done so far is replace a clutch though. Next year I am going to a tech school and going to get my automotive, welding, and machine shop certifications. How hard is it realistically to get a job at a fairly good shop? I absolutely love cars and it would be my dream to make this a career.
Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.