Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys.
i know this may sound stupid, but does anyone know where i can learn like step-by-step how to change the tires on a corvette?
i just need to know how to take the tires off without doing any damage.

thanks y'all :)

edit***

i can't get it done by a proffesional because im playing a prank on one of my good friends to get him back.
but i don't want to damage his car, so I may just have another guy help me out.
maybe one that knows what he is doing.
but i'd like to be able to do it on my own.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Corvette tires are one of the harder tires to take off and put back on. From my experience (newer corvettes only) They are all wide rubber band like tires that are runflats with one heck of a strong wall. If you do not have a tire changing machine I would recommend having a pro do it to aviod wrecking the wheel. Maybe if you supply a little more info it would be more easy to give you better information. What size wheel? what kind of tire? and what tools are you able to use? why not have it done by a trained person?

I hope this helps

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
samantha1545 said:
ohhh, i want to take the tires and the wheels off the car.
It is in the owners manual..jacking instructions..all that...

If you have a flat and need to put a spare on it goes like this..get out the jack and lug wrench..and hope the spare is not flat too.. place the jack in the spot the owners manual tells you..loosen the lug nuts on the wheel..then jack the car until the tire is of the ground..remove lug nuts..then remove tire and wheel..place good tire and wheel back on and install the lug nuts..let the jack down untile the car is setting on the tire and then tighten the lug nuts the final bit..drive about 3-4 miles and check the lug nuts again for tightness....if they are //good to go..go somewhere and get the flat fixed..

you should do all this in less time than it took me to type this..Maybe go out and change one to know how..

Sam

·
Registered
599 Posts
When tightening lugs, do so with a torque wrench set to the proper spec in your owners manual. Go every other lug twice around. Do not overtighten. Go around once more in about 50 miles. Those wheels cost too much to just crank em down.

If you want the tires off the wheels, do the following steps:
1- Place yourself firmly in the drivers seat with belts fastened and mirrors adjusted to you view. This can be done from the passenger seat, but makes step 2 very difficult.
2-Drive in a smart manner to you nearest good tire shop. A little tire squeal is not considered out of the ordinary. A full power drift in four lanes of traffic is not considered good form regardless of how well it is done. Note that good and nearest are not mutually inclusive.
3-Inform the proprietor that you want the tires removed from the wheels. Be sure to ask if they use a center hold down or a lower rim clamp for the process. For alloy wheels, the latter is preferred. A bead hammer and two tire iron is not usually acceptable.
4- Retire (hehehe :) ) to the waiting room for hot chocolate and a two year old copy of People ( by the way, who are those people?) and perhaps catch an exciting half hour of the QVC channel. Try to get a seat on the opposite end of the bench from the farmer who cut a tire while calving.
5-Call a cab to go home and get the tires you left setting in the shop. Put them in the pickup and take to tire shop.
6- while waiting for the tires to be put on the car, try to figure out how to get the pickup home.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
think up a different prank.....
a vette has to be jacked at 4 specific locations or it can crack the body

to remove all 4 tires you would need a car lift on those 4 locations to get the car off the ground

putting jack stands anywhere but those 4 locations to free up the jack to remove more tires is a big NO NO

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
think up a different prank.....

a vette has to be jacked at 4 specific locations or it can crack the body

to remove all 4 tires you would need a car lift on those 4 locations to get the car off the ground

putting jack stands anywhere but those 4 locations to free up the jack to remove more tires is a big NO NO

I Agree 100% plus if you don't torq lug nuts back on properly there will be warped rotors. IMO THIS PRANK WILL TURN BAD

Mustangsaly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.