Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,460 Posts
I really don't understand your question. The tools you discribe are used to cut things, but "chopping a top" require many more tools,such as welding and the like. Are you refering to making a "sun car" where the top is chopped off and discarded?

·
16,460 Posts
That is a very open ended question. You could use all of them or none of them. The first time I chopped a top (see photos) I was 16 years old and had litttle access to tools. I used a good old hacksaw to cut the posts and a Black&Decker electric jig saw with a metal cutting blade in it. Today I would use a hacksaw, an air saw, a cut off wheel on a diegrinder, and others. All of them would be used depending one where you were cutting. It is like asking what wrench you would use to remove an engine.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
cool pics Martin....

love the plaid pants. where did those go?
where is your eye protection?
if you put anymore of those retro pics up, i'm going to need eye protection.....

damn those old styles. they just keep coming back.
there is one of my wife back in the day in my album.;)

·
16,460 Posts
I have posted those photos on many sites over the last five or so years. I have never posted them a single time where someone didn't mention the pants. :) However, you are the first guy to notice the lack of eye protection that I can remember. I don't remember ever noticing it myself.

When I think of all the stupid things I did with these tools and chemicals it makes me want to cry, I hope it doesn't catch up with me in my old age.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
crazy larry said:
cool pics Martin....

love the plaid pants. where did those go?
where is your eye protection?
if you put anymore of those retro pics up, i'm going to need eye protection.....

damn those old styles. they just keep coming back.
there is one of my wife back in the day in my album.;)
Hey, I had a pair of disco pants like that! Only the cool kids did!
Barry

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
The elect. hacksaw is the best tool for that, as well as a cutoff tool
a nibbler is handy too. And the old hand operated hacksaw. Stay away from using a torch if you can as it will cause some warpage.

Troy

·
2,643 Posts
I even had a searsucker jacket to match, now that was COOL.

Troy

·
2,643 Posts
Elect hacksaw=sawsall.

My self I use a small air hacksaw.

Troy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.