Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a 9" in my 68 Camaro (100 miles ago)and i am dissapointed to say the least.It has 2 problems it has a bad whine when you are off the throttle or coasting,scrubs when turning corners (due to the trac-loc) i guess.I started out with a correct width housing bought a rebuilt trac-loc,new ring and pinion (Power Transfer Parts)/new bearings and crush sleve,new 31 spline Moser axles,disc brake set up,paid to have it set up, i have $2,000.00 in this thing.I have it out now and the Royal Purple gear oil (purple in color when new)is now brown and there is alot of fine gray metal material in the bottom of the housing.What do you reccomend?It also seems to have some vibration to it,the pinion angle is correct.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
noisy 9 inch

Pull out the pumpkin and check all the clearances and preloads as were given with your gear set.
Check over the gears and if they are showing a lot of wear, have a new set installed, and dont be nice to the guy that did the setup the first time.

Be sure to look over your bearing races for galling as well. Replace any parts that you are suspicious of, or you will soon be back to this situation again.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
rear

I see in your post that you bought a used trac-loc carrier. If it's the 4 pinion typ and the person that set it up did not set the break-a-way torque properly thats the reason for the scrubbing and possiably the brown fluid color. Most of the time if the whine only happens off the throttle it's a pinion bearing problem. The last 4 or 5 gear sets i have installed were horrible on the coast side of the gear for the pattern. So that might be the problem also....None of them were noisy but i sure thought they would be!!!

Keith

1 - 4 of 4 Posts