Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to reassemble the front sheet metal on my 37 Ply and I am looking for some tips. I have 3 panels on each fender that make up the fender well and fender. The original gasketing between parts (if any) is gone. I have fender welting for the exposed joints between body and fender. I have searched thru SoffSeal, LoneStarand Gateway Reproductions, but have not found anything that seems appropriate for the seams. I am considering commercial rubber roofing material because I can get it in large sheets, but only about 60 mil thick. I have checked my local Home Depot, auto parts stores and hardware stores and the best they offer is the open cell type foam strip. I suspect that will hold water and accellerate rusting. Are there other sources that I could check out.

·
Registered
369 Posts
You could use a tape called Milar. It's thick tape. Some new cars have it on them for just that.
Also some use it on there cars is used infront of there rear fenders to cut down on the rock chips.
Forgot to mention it comes in clear. Anybody shop could get it for you. Some auto parts should be able to order it.

·
NEVER use credit cards!
3,110 Posts
rv stores have a tape/foam about 1/16" thick for going inbetween camper shells and truck beds. it's about 1" wide tho.

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
I would stay away from the tape foam for panel assembly, might just hold moisture. The tared jute or the body assembly tape might work better. CK NAPA or a body repair supply store. Those guys with the paint and bondo might have what you need!

Todd :cool:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. I agree with TM454 that foam products will hold moisture. The Milar product recommended by AwSum34 is a good idea that I will follow up on. I suppose the tape is available from a body shop supply store. Thanks for the tips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts