Hot Rod Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
CQNRQY
Joined
·
201 Posts
Figbash said:
Thanks guys. Hopefully someone else can apply the technique. I'd love to see the results.

The only pics I currently have in paint was before rubbing it out. I'll try to take one of the finished product and add to the post.

Tom

Thats really a neat idea :D
Im going try it :thumbup:
:pimp:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
I make GM restoration parts at work everyday and we emboss various things on tailgates and other panels using a very large press. It's pretty neat to see it small scale and diy friendly.

what was the sheet thickness that was stamped for that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
50bowTie said:
I make GM restoration parts at work everyday and we emboss various things on tailgates and other panels using a very large press. It's pretty neat to see it small scale and diy friendly.

what was the sheet thickness that was stamped for that?
I'm sure it was whatever was used on the trunk lid, probably around 22 gauge. The sheet used to make the letters was slightly thinner, probably 24 gauge. I wanted the effect to be subtle.

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
AutoGear said:
AWESOME!

How did you get the realistic basketball hoop to appear and disappear in the finished photos LOL
Thanks!

It didn't actually disappear, it just changed into a tree.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Nonhog said:
I wonder if it would work using a emblem? cross flags, name plate etc?
Absolutely. The technique is not limited to lettering. Anything you can cut out of a piece of sheet metal can be embossed into a panel.

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,633 Posts
Figbash said:
Absolutely. The technique is not limited to lettering. Anything you can cut out of a piece of sheet metal can be embossed into a panel.

Tom

I've given up trying to Post pictures on this site, but that is exactly what I did-I had a V8 emblem waterjetted, bought a piece of 90 durometer hardness urethane and two pieces of 1" thick plate, took it to work and put it in our 40 ton press-came out great-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
35WINDOW said:
, bought a piece of 90 durometer hardness urethane and two pieces of 1" thick plate, took it to work and put it in our 40 ton press-came out great-
Where would one start to look for 90 durometer urethane?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Thanks, I know the price swing is pretty wild depending on what size your after. Price!, which leads me to my next question. Why not rubber?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,633 Posts
Nonhog said:
Thanks, I know the price swing is pretty wild depending on what size your after. Price!, which leads me to my next question. Why not rubber?

I think anything that will conform to the "die" will work fine-too soft and it won't transfer well, and squish out-too hard, it won't conform well-it has to be, as little red Riding Hood says-"just right"- :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
A 6" x 6" sheet of 1/8" of 90D polyurethane is about $12 from McMaster Carr. Natural rubber is not hard enough and neoprene is not resilient enough. It'll take a set the first time you use it. Also, anything softer than 90D, unless it's quite thin will squish out between the plates and not apply the force where it's needed. Urethane is quite common in tool and die work because of it's unique properties.

Tom
 
21 - 40 of 63 Posts
Top