Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am just wondering how you guys go about getting a title for a car that you just have the bill of sale for.

The reason why I ask is because I bought a Stang and I only have the bill of sale. I went to DMV here in CA and since the car hasn't been registered since '86 I need to have the previous owner sign a statement of facts saying where and how she acquired the vehicle, and a VIN inspection in order to get a title issued in my name.

Well I can't get in touch with the person I bought the car from and it's looking to be almost impossible to get that statement of facts.

I have heard of people just bringing the bill of sale to DMV with cars they have bought from fields, etc. and having DMV issueing a new title without the whole statement of facts thing.

Has anyone done this, or what would be the best way to get a new title since I can't get ahold of the previous owner?

Thanks in advance.

·
stuff'n things'n whatnot
356 Posts
It will likely depend on your state or province

I know when I was in manitoba I was able to get papers for and register a street bike with a handwritten bill of sale and its even easier to do so in saskatchewan, but here in B.C. I've been trying to get papers for my 59 Zephyr for about 2 months now and I'm not even half finished. And I bought the car from the original owners widdow to boot.

there are ways to get papers for any vehicle,just that some ways take much longer than others depending on what you know about the vehicles history and previous owners.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Titles

I'm using Universai Title. Look them up on the net. They are legal and get you the proper LEGAL paper work you need in about 10 days. Cost is $120.:thumbup:

·
I need a bucket of arc sparks
895 Posts
I had a similar problem with a car I bought that the title wasn't signed correctly. I went back to where I bought the car from but I could never get ahold of the previous owner. I eventually filed a lien against the car for storage fees, I could legally charge the guy $5 a day and after 4 months he had a $600 bill for storage. I finally recieved the title to the car; I know it sounds like a crappy thing to do but it worked for me.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,858 Posts
As overwhelmed as the DMV is with work, I wouldn't hesitate to "write" the paper myself. If you're friendly with anyone on the police force, you can get them to drop by and verify the vin. DMV records are kept in Ca. for approx. 7 years, stolen vehicles maybe longer. As long as you are certain the car is clear, and the DMV should have checked this when you went in the first time, there shouldn't be any problems. Went through all this with my 36, but didn't have to fudge on the written statement, seller took care of that for me. Good luck. Dan

·
here to learn
276 Posts
im going through the same thing right now. i purchased a "homemade" car, from the second owner, with no bill of sale, and he only gave me the application from "Titles Unlimited" which is no longer in business, and i cant get a hold of the original builder of the car. i think im going to apply for a "assembled vehicle title" here is a link that might help you.here
the only problem is if the car already has a vin and they might think i just dont want to pay taxes. im going to call the DMV today and find out what i should do, ill post what happens.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Titles

That Titles Unlimited was a crooked set up. This Universal Titles I mentioned will provide you with State stamped documents from the DMV of which state they use. AL, GA, Maine. You have to still pay state taxes so don't go in and claim your $20,000 car at $1,500 value. That might be the problem Boyd's ran into.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts