Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Laissez les bons temps rouler
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was grinding away on a sheet of aluminum that I will be using on top of a rolling work station. Now I can feel all these little metal spinters in my hands, fingers and arms. I can't see the little bastards, but I can feel them when ever I brush up against something. THey don't hurt, just very annoying.

Whats the best way to get these things out? Keep in mind they are VERY hard to see.

Chris

·
Registered
81 Posts
haha, I'm sorry but that is kinda funny. I would soak them in HOT water to open your pores up then try to pull them out with some pluckers. Or a magnet :D

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I tried diggin', still couldn't get em all out. And no, I didn't cry, LOL.

Some arn't even what you would consider a splinter, they are just stuck in my skin, sticking out, like really small metal hairs that I can't see and are beginning to drive me nuts kinda things.

I even feel 'em on my elbows. :(

Maybe a cold shower, just like for fiberglass??

This is kinda funny, but sucks at the same time. Now I'm kicking my self for not wearing a longsleve shirt and gloves.Oh well, live and learn.

Chris

·
What to write here?
41 Posts
I don't know if this would work on metal slivers or not but it works if the boys get a wood sliver and it's sticking out a bit. Paint the area with that white glue (like Elmer's - that stuff kids use for art projects) and let it dry. Peel it off and the sliver ought to come with it. Not always but more often than not.

Kristen

·
Registered
906 Posts
Now don't laugh! I use white glue. Aluminim is non-magnetic so a magnet will not work but the glue does. Just put a thin coat over the area that has the "sliver" and let the stuff dry. Then pull the dried glue off of your skin and the "sliver" sticks to the glue but not to your skin.

This only works if you can feel the thing sticking above the skin.

Have Fun
Scholman

·
What to write here?
41 Posts
poncho62 said:
Tough on the old arm hair though.........................
I guess you have to weigh which is worse...lol.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Ouch.... been there.

The way I took them out was just to pick out all that I could see or feel. Then I used a regular scrubbing brush and got off what I could. This was with Iron so after a few days I looked at my hands and they were riddled with little black dots and lines. Took me awhile, but I cut most of them out with some finger nail clippers. I guess the rest must have rusted away, or was just pushed out after time.

Lesson is, wear gloves! :p

·
Kenneth Howard hates me...
129 Posts
I'm going to have to try the white glue next time, I tried the duct tape on a wood splinter once and it didn't work (maybe it was in too deep?).

I use an X-acto knife with a new blade for single splinters.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
I dont know about in skin but here is a tip if you get a metal splinter in your eye

1)DO NOT RUB IT ,I know that is a no brainer but reflex says rub
2)Got one in my eye and an old timer at work took a tech driver with a magnetic end and laid it on the splinter,BINGO,it came right out.Ive had to do that a few more times since then to others and myself.
3)Always wear your safety glasses,cant stress that enough.Case in point.My dad was busting concrete off an old basket ball pole we pulled out of the ground.He didnt wear his glasses,piece of concrete flew up and destroyed his cornea.He now has a glass eye.You take things for granted and if you lose your sight you dont get it back guys.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've had steel slivers removed from my eye twice, not pleasant. The second time it had rusted so they had to scrape the surface of my eyeball to remove the rust ring. If you get one in your eye, get it removed asap! It's kind of amusing, when you get an MRI they Xray your eyes to verify there are no ferrous metal particles in your eyes....guess the magnetic field will pull them thru your eyeballs and brains! Ouch.

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
Rub-wipe the affected area with some old worn pantyhose.

Troy:pimp:

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
troy...where are you going with this?

using old panty hose rubbed across the affected area to do what? I like the duct tape idea but the arm hair would be gone too. Now which is it a hot or a cold shower...you guys work it out and let us know.....LOL

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
Passed down from my pappy. He said used ones worked the best.
Didn't say where they should be CLEAN or not. I doubt the person wearing them would appreciate them being used while still on the body.

I know that they work for cactus.and fiberglass strands, etc. etc.
Don't know why they wouldn't work on metal splinters.

But if they are still in the skin after this long I just don't know.

Troy

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wound up taking a hot shower, it opened up the pores, and lot of them came out. The ones that didn't I picked at with the tweezers until I got them out.

I can still feel some in my elbows, which are really annoying.

Chris

1 - 20 of 22 Posts