Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
two cups of tea
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well Id like to put a serpentine set up in my car its an 83 monte carlo I know some things will be in oppisete places,I have a friend with a 350 but the power steering pump is on the oppisete side,idk what do you guys suggest

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Okay, here`s what you`ll need.
First find a COMPLETE serpentine system. Power steering pump, brackets, all the pulley`s, AC compressor, reverse rotation water pump, and if your using a clutch fan you`ll need a reverse rotation fan and clutch unit, you`ll also need a newer style alternator. If you try and mix and match these pieces it won`t work as different sizes were used in different years. You can use the system off 350`s, 305`s a 4.3 liter V6 engines.
Rent a power steering pulley puller/installer from a parts store and head to the junk yard. The pulley has to be removed before you can get the bracket off. Make sure you keep all the bolts as well. The alternator will be relocated to the drivers side and since it`s a newer style you`ll need this adapter:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWM-140/?image=large
If you aren`t using the AC then just use the compressor as the pulley guide so you don`t have to buy a bolt in style pulley as those cost a bit. If you are using the AC then you`ll have to adapt the system by using AC hoses and the dryer off a 92 camaro to adapt it to the passengers side where it should have been in the first place. Make sure you take note of the belt routing. If you can find a complete system in one vehicle then get the year model of the vehicle and engine size and get the belt for that vehicle. Check the idler pulleys and make sure the rotate easy without play. Depending on what kind of deals you can get you can usually install the whole system for around $200, that includes getting a used alternator and clutch fan. If you buy a new alternator and clutch fan the price goes up to around $325 total. There may also be wires you`ll have to add to in lenth in order to get them to reach there desired location.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.