Hot Rod Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
18,397 Posts
With a real steady hand.

Welcome to the forum....Best not to put your contact info on the forums...an invite for scammers and spammers....just sayin'

People here will answer you on the board, that way we all learn

·
Registered
127 Posts
a hard rubber roller like one used to role down wall paper - roll out paint on a smooth flat surface then roll over the raised letters on the covers - works best for me - Jaxx

·
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
2,857 Posts
Welcome to Hotrodders:welcome: "Best not to put your contact info on the forums." (Unless you want to be contacted)!!!

Curious as to how old you are:confused: and what your project is:confused:

"[email protected]" is a curious handle:confused: are you Professor David J. Elton :confused:

location, age, and project would be great in your "members info"
Wondering why a Professor of engineering would ask that question ??

Jester

·
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
2,857 Posts
For a hundred yrs people detail their cars and engines with a brush and good sign enamel very easy to do now days they have enamel paint pens, If anyone is too shaky get a kid or friend with a steady hand to help, or you can use pin stripe tape (3M and border it off!!)~ This thread is..........:smash:

why would a Professor of engineering ask that question?? Why would someone else use the professors E mail ?? I think its a joke being played!!

Jester

·
Registered
17,612 Posts
Why would a Professor of engineering ask that question??
He tells you why Jester......."I am painting the raised, white lettering on the Chevrolet Orange valve covers of a 1957 Chevrolet." I don't think that the fact the fellow is a Professor of Engineering has anything to do with lettering the valve covers of a '57 Chevy. He's probably just an enthusiast like the rest of us on here. :thumbup:

·
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
2,857 Posts
He tells you why Jester......."I am painting the raised, white lettering on the Chevrolet Orange valve covers of a 1957 Chevrolet." I don't think that the fact the fellow is a Professor of Engineering has anything to do with lettering the valve covers of a '57 Chevy. He's probably just an enthusiast like the rest of us on here. :thumbup:
I was an engineering grad and I learned how to paint and follow lines and edges in elementary school , Engineering or education doesn't have anything to do with it!! It just seems odd a guy would use an engineers E MAIL that is now all over the world on the WEB (if its his!!?) It also strikes me as odd for an older engineering professor of a collage to do!!? It would be a bad JOKE for a student to pull on a professor they didn't like:thumbup: Even his Phone is there if you check his e mail out ..I should just call him and tell him personally how to paint them!! I think some one is playing a bad joke on him!!

Its been a week we'll see! :confused:

Their all over the internet (I would use a sword brush)
Jester

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
White nail polish. Flows out nice, comes with a brush, drys quickly. I did the lettering on my console nameplates for the wagon with chrome silver nail polish.

Mark

·
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
2,857 Posts
It once was known to many as nail enamel but its actually called now a nail polish, they are lacquers that dries very very hard and very quickly!! Not the best choice to use lacquer on enameled parts or a hot engine part:mwink: Paint doesn't cost that much ?

Model (plastic car) paint would be better like "Testers" ( Its enamel )

Jester

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
A cured enamel will probably never see the lacquer nail polish as the work time is very short. A hot engine part will have no impact on the paint, whether enamel or lacquer, other then curing it quicker when it gets warm. :) I would say get a cheap bottle at a dollar store and give it try, not a thing to lose, test it on a hidden spot....
Mark

·
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
2,857 Posts
Silly discussion All professional painter and engine builders Know that enamels tend to dry very hard and can stand up to heat, making them much more durable than lacquer paint. And enamel stands heat changes much much better then lacquer it also stand up to chemical staining! Thats why its used for Pin stripes, flame and scallop bordering and detailing,and engine paint , ! Engine paint has to stand up to at least 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

I really don't care if anyone gets a gallon of nail polish and paints their whole car!!:thumbup: I only suggest its designed for human finger nails not detailing cars or engines! I also wouldn't suggest for a woman to go in a garage and using car paint on her fingers ! Take my opinion or not but after 50 yrs of building and, painting and detailing cars I'm intitled to my honest opinion:)

Jester

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I don't see why it's a silly discussion... Like YOU stated earlier nail polish IS lacquer paint and lacquer paint has been used on full size cars for ages. Gallons and gallons of it.
Heat cycling will have zero effect on it, a valve cover will not get that hot to begin with. if it does, you have other issues.
All I'm doing is offering a viable (and cheap) alternative for materials to paint some very small lettering on a set valve covers, not a whole car (although you could). :) There is no reason in the world this would not work if the proper prep is done.
That is my opinion and experience and I have been doing this just as long as you have sir... :)
Mark

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Just wow.

If a guy was to pour paint onto a flat, non-porous and level surface then carefully, lightly, and squarely set the part face down on the shallow paint puddle... the lift it out immediately and hang it face down until dry... thats a way.

One post wonder, never to return. No need to drag anyone through a bed of coals here.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
One post wonder, never to return. No need to drag anyone through a bed of coals here.
LOL! I try to avoid the bed of coals... Might burn off my nail polish. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.