Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and first would like to say "Hi To All".
I just started my first restoration, a 1968 Mustang and need some advice.
Thanks in advance for your responses.

My first question is: What is the recommended coating to keep a new bare steel gas tank from rusting on the exterior. I believe on my car, they were originally unpainted. I would like to keep the original look but don't want surface rust.

My second question is, what should a paint things like the headlight buckets and parts that you don't really see with. I plan to sandblast all the surface rust of and then possibly epoxy prime and paint. Is this the right way to restore and preserve such parts or is there a better way? And what type of products?

Thanks again for your advice ~ Len

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
I don't think you can buy a new bare steel tank, they have an external coating but it's clear. Never scratching it is how to prevent rust in that case.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The previous owner replaced the tank with a "National Parts Depot" replacement at some point, and it has surface rust. I am taking the car 100% apart and plan to do a complete nut and bolt restoration. Here's a picture of the tank as it sits. I plan to drain all the fuel and then remove it from the car. Once all the fuel is removed and the tank is completely vented, I think I should be able to sand the exterior and then coat it with something to prevent this. Just not sure what to coat it with. I would like to keep the original raw look but with some protection. Any advice as to what to coat it with, maybe a clear paint or maybe phosphate???

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Check out the Eastwood site (google it). They carry all kinds of restoration paints and coatings. It really depends on what "kind" of restoration you are going for as to what you do with the coatings.
Mark

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If doing a nut and bolt resto why not buy a new tank that is not crap. That is a really cheap tank and they should not rust. Most are either aluminum coated or galvanized or cleared. Looks like the lat guy got an un prepped tank since its cheaper and did not prep it. You need one ready to install on it will rust again no matter what stuff you spray on it. It will also rust the straps since that is where rust will start first now that its already got a hole on it.
The above sounds about right. I'm going to get a new tank and make sure its prepped right before installing. Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
POR Paint

You can get some Paint over Rust Paint which works great...Stops Rust....Called POR paint.....I've used it...works for me .

·
Banned
120 Posts
If doing a nut and bolt resto why not buy a new tank that is not crap. That is a really cheap tank and they should not rust. Most are either aluminum coated or galvanized or cleared. Looks like the lat guy got an un prepped tank since its cheaper and did not prep it. You need one ready to install on it will rust again no matter what stuff you spray on it. It will also rust the straps since that is where rust will start first now that its already got a hole on it.
Most resto parts are copy of the oem part..
why would any have an aluminum coating, or galvy..??

Your standard aftermarket replacement might, but not the resto part..

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,274 Posts
The oem tanks have some type of coating many are dipped or have a cad coating but they have some rust preventative. How many of the cars have you owned leaked gas because the tank rusted out. None then your about the same as all of us. OEM tanks simply dont rust out like that. They are all coated somehow. OEM have had too many problems over the years and no longer sell uncoated tanks. Even before seat belts were installed in cars the tanks didnt rust thru. So any true resto part will have some type of coating if its oem quality. All manufactures do this there own way so depending on the car will dictate the type of coating from anodes to galvanized and newer cars are al coated.
Up here in the rust belt, we see MANY gm tanks rust out between the tank and straps and eventually leak gas. This is very common up here. The long term effects of all the salt on the roads here in winter creates a much more severe environment that metal can't survive in as long as down south.

·
Banned
120 Posts
Up here in the rust belt, we see MANY gm tanks rust out between the tank and straps and eventually leak gas. This is very common up here. The long term effects of all the salt on the roads here in winter creates a much more severe environment that metal can't survive in as long as down south.

YUP, some in dry areas think it is that way everywhere..
Every vehicle I've owned with a steel tank has rusted,, and rotted at the seam and the top,, you know the part away from all the dirt and sand blasting..
if they are coated, the tops should not rot out into a holy mess

1 - 10 of 10 Posts