Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have bought a 1953 chevy cochran celli short bodied 3/4 ton 235 six cylinder step van which needs a gas tank and i am considering demension wise an always just finished 15 gallon keg shell. its currently below the engine as is most vehicle tanks although i am considering putting two to three 15/7.5 gallon shells as legs for a bench seat which now place the gas storage level to above level of the motor.

does anyone know if partions/baffles for motion reduction are needed or help of what standard method is used for this thnx jack

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
I had a keg in my Tbucket for a gas tank, sloshing wasn't terribly bad, a step van wouldn't be getting the workout I gave that car! Dan

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
If you build the tanks without baffles and find that the sloshing is a problem, you can toss in some of the foam blocks that are especially designed for that purpose.

Speedway, summit and jegs all sell that stuff.
Fuel cell safety foam is what it's called.

Later, mikey

·
Lost in the 60's
15,292 Posts
jack s. hitchens said:
i have bought a 1953 chevy cochran celli short bodied 3/4 ton 235 six cylinder step van which needs a gas tank and i am considering demension wise an always just finished 15 gallon keg shell. its currently below the engine as is most vehicle tanks although i am considering putting two to three 15/7.5 gallon shells as legs for a bench seat which now place the gas storage level to above level of the motor.

does anyone know if partions/baffles for motion reduction are needed or help of what standard method is used for this thnx jack
Are you telling us that you plan on putting two or three 15 gal keg tanks under the seat? Your gonna ride around using the gas tanks for seat legs??? Is this what you are saying? If so thats gonna be very dangerous...thats my opinion.

·
Registered
72 Posts
gas tank

Man I gotta go along with that. It's like riding around with a bomb in the truck with you with a lit fuse. Why do you think that Ford took the tank out from behind the seat in their pickups...Too many fires and law suits. JMHO............GlennK

·
World Class ASE tech
704 Posts
I build a lot of gas tanks for street rods ( over 100 so far) I have never seen a tank with baffles in it. Great big 40 gallon tanks off Suburbans and Expeditions don't have baffles in them They are just not needed.

As for having a seat for a gast tank. Lots of street rods are like that to help save room. I don't think it is the best idea, but a lot of stock production cars and trucks were built that way.

I would give some thought and try to get the tank outside the truck. It has got to be a lot safer.

·
Crazier By The Minute
113 Posts
I thought if the kegs were full you WOULD fly farther. Years ago the 31 Model "A" Fords had the gas tank under the cowl as they got older they often leaked inside the cockpit. Not Good. Bud

·
Registered
62 Posts
I used a 15 gallon drum for a gas tank and had no problems.
My 39 stovebolt has the gas tank under the seat. and i had lots of pickups over the years with tanks be hind the seat. i made it to 62.

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,848 Posts
MI2600 stole my line! ;>
MB and M38 WWII/Korean war Jeeps had the gas tank under the driver's seat. They were shot at and never had an explosion problem. As long as the tanks are sealed there shouldn't be a problem.

That said, I wouldn't put a tank in the passenger compartment. Explosions are rare (except in the movies), but fumes aren't. The tanks have to have well sealed access ports for fuel gauge senders and such. In case of a wreck, they could burst and douse you with gas, which would of course burn fiercely! Under the seat in the middle of the van they should, however, be well protected from being crushed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.