Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Y'all!

Alright so I have a youtube channel and I want to start a series where I try to build a turbocharged 454 for as cheap as possible (where it counts). However, I also want to make sure that the engine stays in good shape no matter what I do to it, especially after I add the turbos.

Now the turbos I settled on were two gt45, two cheap turbos from amazon (yes I know, you can groan now). Now obviously, these turbos aren't american steel. they're probably from china. However, I HAVE heard very good things about them, mostly how they actually work really well and that they can take a fair beating as long as you're not at the drag strip every single day.

Now, when I put these in, I want to prepare for the worst case scenario: The turbo straight up exploding. The last thing I want is turbo shrapnel going into a motor that I like. So I was thinking this:

the turbo sucks in air through the fan (air filter attached obvsly)

the compressed air would then go into the intercooler. if the turbo exploded, most of the big pieces would end up here.

the air then goes directly into the blow through carburetor. Now, if the turbo exploded, there is a good chance that small shrapnel would fall in through here and damage the engine, requiring a rebuild at best case scenario.

my idea is this: what if I put a spectre ram air plenum and attached the turbo hoses to it instead of a dual plenum? think of this:
https://www.ebay.com/i/182783179703?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

this would allow me to put ANOTHER air filter in there, just to protect the motor for worst case scenario. would that work?

Here are some possible problems I thought up. These may not even be realistic problems, as I'm just trying to think of every possible scenario:

would a second air filter stop air from flowing through, causing a horsepower loss? depending on how much the loss is, this may be worth it.

since the air going in is highly compressed, is there a chance itll affect the second air filter? either rip it open or bend it inwards, making it pointless?

Thank you guys for all the help by the way. I'm just a guy trying to learn how to build a motor for peanuts for my subscribers enjoyment and I'd hate to lose a good motor just for a video.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
The 2nd air filter will ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY destroy your motor. It will not handle pressure. It will come apart and wind up going through your motor. If that isn't enough, then it will end up going through the turbos turbines as well.

You really don't need to reinvent the wheel for this. A set of budget cone style filters is all that's needed. The intercooler will act as a filter for an exploded turbo.

With no sarcasm intended, spend you energy and money on either buying a CSU carb or learning how to modify a Holley for boost; and learning how to tune the stock distributor for boost.

Your motor's longevity will be determined by your ability to tune and understand the issues that boost creates.

Richard Holdener has been documenting on YouTube a budget Buick 455 motor that he has put some boost to. He has encountered some issues and documented them. It's entertaining and informative. He's having issues and he is extremely talented tuner.

Different note - what are you doing with the oil supply and return for turbos? And I'm in with and hoping your succeed. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2nd air filter will ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY destroy your motor. It will not handle pressure. It will come apart and wind up going through your motor. If that isn't enough, then it will end up going through the turbos turbines as well.

You really don't need to reinvent the wheel for this. A set of budget cone style filters is all that's needed. The intercooler will act as a filter for an exploded turbo.

With no sarcasm intended, spend you energy and money on either buying a CSU carb or learning how to modify a Holley for boost; and learning how to tune the stock distributor for boost.

Your motor's longevity will be determined by your ability to tune and understand the issues that boost creates.

Richard Holdener has been documenting on YouTube a budget Buick 455 motor that he has put some boost to. He has encountered some issues and documented them. It's entertaining and informative. He's having issues and he is extremely talented tuner.

Different note - what are you doing with the oil supply and return for turbos? And I'm in with and hoping your succeed. :)
Thanks for the insight! I was thinking that the boost air might be too much for the air filter and i'm glad you were able to tell me that off the bat!

as for the oil lines, i'm still plotting it out, as this project is very much in its baby stages. I've never worked with boost before so i'm taking my time and trying to look at every possible problem beforehand

1 - 3 of 3 Posts