Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Heart Breaker and Life Taker
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you read them things? And is lower gears = More power with same engine Or, Higher gear = more power?

I sound like tim taylor......lol.

Thanks.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Also of note - deep gears or low gears have a higher numerical ratio (4.88 deeper than 2.73)

Taller gears use a lower numerical ratio (2.73 taller than 4.88)

Common slang - "adding gear" is in reference to going to a deeper gear (swapping a 2.73 out for a 4.88)

Taking away gear or removing gear is just the opposite.

Just in case someone is reading and isn't aware, the numbers are referencing how many times the driveshaft must rotate in order to rotate the tires once. IE - it must rotate 2.73 times in order for the wheels to make 1 rotation.

·
Registered
392 Posts
You want to match the gear to the engine, transmission, and vehicle weight, as well as projected use for the vehicle, and tires... and your personal preferences.

A 2.73:1 gear would be a good versatile gear for an engine with plenty of low end torque, in a light vehicle, with a deep 1st gear and small (normal) street tires, and no overdrive, used mostly for cruising... IMO. Depending on the setup, you could spin tire or hook up, and still have low highway RPM without overdrive either way.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What would be a good 12 bolt rear end gear for 4x4? I have a dana 60 right now, But I was told they arn't the best thing for 4x4. They can actually be to hard on your vehicle.?? Any thoughts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts