Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Colorsanding painter
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a Camaro that had a vinyl top on it. I'm now attempting to remove the glue and am looking for a more economical way energywise(my energy) to remove it. I've been using lacquer thinner and a rag and then tried lacquer thinner with a Scotchbrite. Scotchbrite seemed to work quicker than the rag but still not as quick as I'd like. It currently has lacquer based primer on it and I'm going to put on Barry's epoxy once I get the glue and old primer removed. I will be putting a new vinyl top on it once I paint the car.
Thanks, Chip.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
The common solvent to remove vinyl top adhesive is Xylol and can be had at just about any large hardware store. It should be used outside with proper ventilation, away from any open source of flame, and proper PPE (chemical gloves and respirator) should be employed. An alternative method is a DA sander and 36 grit paper.

Vince

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
You may try some paint stripper on a small area with the scotchbrite and as Vince says, the proper equipment.

·
Robbins Racing
51 Posts
I don't know if they're the same product or not, but I've tried two of the hook and loop style scotchbrites for my DA. To say the least, I was not impressed by the undisclosed Frisbee-like aerodynamics. For removal of non-typical substances on surfaces that are no good for hand sanding and DA, I always reach for my orbital B&D "Mouse". It uses hook/loop also, making it easy to just attach a disc of almost any grit and trim it to shape with scissors. Also has a point, straight sides, and rounded edges which I find sneaks into little nooks and crannies I don't feel like sanding by hand. Other than that I would possibly try goof-off or sticker removal aerosol (by 3M?). Oh, one more suggestion, the razor blade holder/scraper could work, I use it for removing window stickers and tint.

·
Colorsanding painter
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The glue is yellow sort of like the old 3M gorilla snot weatherstrip adhesive. It is still gummy and likes to roll up and can be peeled in tiny sections up to about an inch square. I got about half the roof done last night in three hours.

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
The glue is high temp top and trim contact adhesive, and the solvent for it is Mineral Spirits. While Vince is right that Xylol (xylene) will remove it, mineral spirits is a lot cheaper.Put the Mineral spirits on and let it soak in for a while to soften up the old contact adhesive. Keep whatever you want to use, a rag, a scotchbrite pad, whatever soaked with the mineral spirits as you go. It will take a lot of elbow grease, but it will all come off. Don't be tempted to use a sander, grinder or anything else to try to hurry things up, all you'll do is just smear the old contact adhesive around with the heat and friction. You can use a putty knife if you want, but round off the blade so it won't scratch the metal top.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Dan, if the glue is similar to the Dap vinyl top adhesive mineral spirits won't touch it. I tried also lacquer thinner and it only made a mess out of it. Xylol is the only thing readily available and also recommend by Dap as a thinner for Dap adhesive.

Vince

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
It is standard high temp top and trim adhesive like DAP or 3-M. Mineral spirits will remove it with enough time and patience, but Xylene will probably do it a lot faster. Xylene is also a lot more expensive, but if he's going for speed that would be the way to go. In either case, power tools will not help, they will only smear it around. By the way, you never thin top and trim contact adhesive or it will fail.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
BTW, there is a better choice than mineral spirits or xylene. Dap makes a solvent called DAP Weldwood 0901 solvent which is made of Toluene, N-Hexane, Acetone, and Petroleum Distillate.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
MI2600 said:
I just went through this with my '86 El Camino. I found my DA sander with a 100 grit pad zipped it off.
It all depends on how malleable the glue still is, if it's all dried up then a DA will make quick work of it. If it's still soft the DA will make a gobbed up mess of it.

Vince

·
Registered
12 Posts
Removing glue

The fastest is paint stripper . Apply it as per directions but then take some plastics garbage bags cut in half and cover the stripper this will keep the vapors from escaping. The vapors are what makes the stripper work far more effective. Safety first follow the proper safety steps.
Tony

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.