Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have an old Honda Trail 70 (not really a hotrod I admit).

I haven't done any welding or bodywork along these lines before (how I ended up here).

So the metal frame is split and cracked, and I'm trying to figure out how to repair it.

I have pictures of the problem here.

From the way the frame looks, it appears it was bashed in on that side, and then the frame cracked along the bend. So I also need to repair the bent metal before repairing the crack.

I'm not sure if I should try and bend it somehow back into place and then try and weld on the seam, or possibly try and cut the entire portion out and replace it?

At a minimum I understand I should potentially drill a hole at the bottom of the split to keep it from splitting further.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
That aint so bad,but you should bring it to your local welder and have him do it just to make sure its done properly ...should be around 50.00....I havent seen one of those in years are you restoring it or just repairing to ride again?

·
Hot Rod Has Been
187 Posts
Simple repair.... drill a small hole to stop the crack, hammer it to shape, weld it up, mig or tig, and do the body work.

Done....

·
33 Pontiac 3W Sport Coupe
119 Posts
Looks like a crack from fatigue. I think I would drill hole to stop it going further but would also figure a way to add some more support so it wouldn't happen again. The area must be subject to torque to cause that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe the previous owner ran into something because that area was bent inward fairly significantly. I think the crack was a result of fatigue/stress to that particular area as the bike was ridden.

From another site "These Dax frames are made with fairly light gauge metal, with a lot of body flexing as a result"

If you want to see an awesome "hotrodders" restoration of one of these bikes see the same site.

I currently have about 12 of these bikes that I am restoring and/or trying to make rideable. I have pretty good mechanical skills but the painting/bodywork/welding etc is a significant learning curve for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts