Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 31 Model A Tudor has #1157 taillight/turn signal/brake light bulbs. The lenses are 1”x6” slits and the bulbs are not very bright. I want to replace the bulbs with something much brighter. Would LED’s work for the combination turn signal and brake lights or is there something else out there that is brighter ?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
There's a motorcycle bulb that's a bit brighter , I'll see if I can find the number later on . Painting the inside of the housing white helps as well .

·
True Hotrodder
1,893 Posts
Some say the 2357 is much brighter but the cost is a lower life span. I have never tried them myself. LED would probably be better but the problem is finding ones that will hold up. I have replaced some bulbs with LED and in most of the cases they have quit way too early and it doesn't seem to matter how much you spend on them. My best ones have been on the back of my trailers, complete sealed units that are going on a number of years of service now.

·
Registered
514 Posts
How about using a double contact bulb with the base contacts soldered together.
Giving you twice the filament. Might have to file one of the brass locking lugs to fit socket. Haven’t tried it but just a thought……..

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've ran these:

You will need a relay to carry the load as they can burn out a brake switch. They also generate a lot of heat and can melt plastic lenses and housings. I used them in my 46 coupe that had glass lenses and metal housings.

I have since switched over to LED's, but not 1157 replacements. I used the LED lights made to replace the whole lens. I have never really found a 1157 LED bulb that is much brighter than a standard bulb.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts