Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An engine came with my project 37 It is a 350 I belive it came out of a circle track racer. The oil pan had more sump on the right hand side than the other. There was also a 50% more oil pump in it. There was a 750 Holley for it as well. I put in a OEM oil pump and a 1 quart more oil pan on it. I also have a new Edelbrock 600 cfm carb. I got it started last week. I can get the idle down low and hear the lope, and when you rev it up it rises fast and drops back down just as fast.. I know that it is built up.. Just wondering if there was some way of telling horse power short of a dyno..

·
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
13,765 Posts
You will need to list everything that has been done to it from the top to bottom before someone will even try to make a estiment. Intake /carb/ pistons/ cam/ Heads /rocker arms, You know eveything that you can list. Then someone will chime in for you. Cole

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry.. Don't know. Never tore it all apart. I only added a few items. Like Headers, Carb, HEI distributator, New oil pump, fuel pump. I guess with out having pulled it all apart there is no way of knowing.. The Seller doesn't seem to know. I know that there are no special heads on it either. Thanks anyways.. Al

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
APalusky said:
Just wondering if there was some way of telling horse power short of a dyno..
Sure!

If you know the weight (take it to the local scrap yard and drive it across the scales or use the scales at the track), run it through a quarter mile. Launch it hard, but not so hard that you spin for a half block!

You should do this at the track, all drag strips usually have at least one night a week during the season for testing/tuning. Plus it's fun.

Using the top speed and weight, there are CALCULATORS that will estimate your HP.

This is a lot cheaper than a dyno time, but obviously not as accurate. But the upside is, you can make changes and rerun the car to see if you're making progress by just going to the track. :cool:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks No track close by though, unless one of those 1/8 mile strips.. Where even the average grocery getter gets a low ET.. I will do that when I get the car on the road.. Al

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.