Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
here to learn
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the classes im taking right now are SOOO boring and so useless that it seems like a major wast of my time. i still dont know what im going to study so im just finishing the first two years at a community college (business degree) I know some are very useful but for instance, in philosophy, we are studying Metaethics and Normative ethic (morals) how often am i going to use this stuff?
my point being, how much of what you learned in school do you actually use?

another example, we have to write 8 frikin pages on a SPECIFIC subject on popular culture, the only thing this is going to help me out with is how to BS things

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
finish college. Its not always fun, but its nice to have it done early in life and not dread what you could have done for years to come.

Nut up man.

K

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
1,642 Posts
I don't know alot of guys your age that know EXACTLY what they want to do with their life. It's tough, but I think the big issue of college is that you take it on and conquer it.

These are what employers are looking for, people who finish long term goals. College is like work sometimes. It makes no sense to you, but you do it anyway, because that's how successful people operate. Not to mention the fringe benefits of college life. Hang onto it as long as you can.

Whatever you do in life, do it with all of your ability and you'll go far. If you look around, you can find applications for all of the things you are studying. You have to be the one who has a thirst to learn.

Always remember what the alternative is. Wendy's, Mickey D's, Wallyworld, etc.

College is almost mandatory in this day and age. Hang in there!!!!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Hs I dont remember much of, just running off to school to put my head down on the desk and fall asleep till 2:45 or 3:00.

College.... aaa... just do it and get done with it. It sucks and I'm not even through with it yet(or will I ever be, I think) but you need it if you dont want to end up behind a parts counter somewhere. You can be the guy behind the guy at the parts counter.

·
Hauling A55 BURNING GASS!!!
235 Posts
high school,the partys, anything else couldnt tell ya i droped out some how i think those basters cheated me out of some credits because when i was sapposed to be a senior i was still considered a sophmore 22 credits to graduate and i had like 9 or 10 when i was sapposed to be a senior but i also got kicked out freshman year for fighting too much and i dont think they counted any of those credits i made up at the alternate school i even finished eairly that year because i finished all the work and they told me i would be going to sophmore year but my school id still said freshman when i was in sophmore classes ***!! i hope my new plans work out for the best get, GED then go to a Trade School. then hopefully open up an auto shop with my older brother in a couple years. i also have other plans but just not a clear as this one. like.. becoming a rapper dadadaddamn lol, being in my friends pit crew for nascar right now hes starting late model racing couple years of that and hopefully nascar, joing the army....maybe even trying to become a fireman but i think you need a high school diploma for that.

·
I'm lookin' to learn.
92 Posts
Buckle down and study hard now or you'll be paying for it the rest of your life. Sacrifice now so you don't have to later. I know...I started very late in life with the university thing and now I'm trying to play catch-up financially. Mortgage, student loans, and trying to start saving for retirement while raising 5 kids...I should have listened when someone gave me the same advice many years ago.

Tough it out...you'll thank yourself for it later.

·
Rebuilt Excitment
595 Posts
Get all of the education that you can, I think that the Army requires you to have a high school diploma, I know the other services do. Most fire and city jobs also require you to finish high school or to have a GED. Get all of the education that you can while you are young as the older you get the harder it is to learn, we get a harder head as we get older:welcome: There are ways to find out what you really like, one of the is by volunteering, that is also a good way to make contacts that you may be able to use latter in life.

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
I posted this back in August. Maybe you read it:

For the younger people on this forum, who struggle with having to go to school, I have a little message for ya! My Toolbox talk ! It's really not that bad. Read it with an open mind, and see what you think.

You are a toolbox !
Life has taught me one simple thing. Your a toolbox. Odd analogy, huh? But as a kid, going through school, you are but a toolbox. You start Kindergarten with a little Craftsman box with the handle on top. Every single class you take is a free tool that the taxpayers in your area, are GIVING you. English is a screwdriver, Math is an open end wrench, and so forth. These are all freebies ! If you chose to embrace the gift, and learn how to use it, it will be in your box forever. If you choose to ignore, or reject it, you will have to deal with the consequence. When you enter college (hopefully), those free tools will help you. Those "free" tools you rejected, you will now HAVE TO PAY FOR. When you graduate college, you have a huge roller cabinet of tools. Employers look for someone that has the tools and knows how to use them. (Unless they want you for grunt work,and then your expendable) The better the school, the better the tool. So the moral of this is, get all you can while its free. It just costs a little effort. Pay attention in school and the things "YOU'LL NEVER USE THAT IN REAL LIFE" will come to be quite useful. I wished I paid more attention back then !

Examples of "Stuff I'd NEVER USE"

Math:
Figuring radius's for rollbar fabrication. Tubing strength formulas to see what tubing will keep me alive without weighing 400 tons. Triangulating for strength, needing the angle to fishmouth the tubing. Calculating vehicle speed based on tire diameter,gearing,rpm, and drive ratio of transmission...... Besides, who's gonna count your money?

English:
Funny thing about sponsors. They want you to be able to speak in the language that your nation speaks. The way you write a resume' speaks volumes about you. I review them often.

Social Studies:
This is a reach, but its history. The facts and figures that they dump on you may seem irrelevant. At some point in time, to argue your point effectively, you will need this mundane information to substantiate your claim. It also helps you form opinions and guides you on future journeys. "You won't make the same mistake twice". Plus it helps to know geography when you go on vacation!

Science:
Dude, you can't build a decent hot-rod without it. One word. Physics. Suspensions? Even earth science is helpful. Chemstry is what helps Top Fuelers get down the track faster. Flamespread of Nitromethane vs. pressure it can withstand without detonation.... NOS....need I go further?

There's a whole lot more examples, but I hope you see my point!

Signed,
Empty Tool Box

·
Registered
654 Posts
53ledsled,

Yes, finish college. Beenaway2long has explained the various applications very well. The point is you may not know what you will be using the knowledge for but at some point you will use it.

I am glad I finished college (years ago) but because of that it has been possible for me to do more in my career than I ever thought possible.

Yes, there are many fulfilled and challenged people that haven't finished college. However the odds are better for you if you do.

Most importantly, study what you are interested in and passionate about. Turn that into your career. Then you can wake up every morning excited about going to work.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The "Toolbox Talk"! I like that. I'm going to save this one for the next time my son complains about having to go to school in the morning.

Thanks for putting into words what every parent thinks but doesn't know how to say.:thumbup:

Chickie.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
if your bored with your first year, your obviously not partying hard enough. get out there and do some stupid stuff you'd be ashamed to tell your grandkids about.:thumbup:

stick with it, it'll be worth it.:pimp:

Jeff, does this mean you don't love me anymore?:(

·
Move It On Over!
227 Posts
53LEDSLED said:
another example, we have to write 8 frikin pages on a SPECIFIC subject on popular culture, the only thing this is going to help me out with is how to BS things
Is Hot Rodding Popular Culture???

Seriously, if you can manage to go to school now, do it - later in life, it becomes a lot harder to find the time to finish school and get a degree. Otherwise, it takes a lot of experience in a career field to get the same $ with less experience and a degree. It evens out after 8+ years or so.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My two cents:

I am an instructor at a Community College and I get that very quetion all of the time....what good is this stuff. Beenaway and Advanced summed it up very nicely.
Face it...we learn our whole lives, but what we don't find interesting we pass off as not necessary. The basics of math, science, etc., even history provide a basis for how and what we do. When asked by prospective students..."what should I study?", I tell them exactly what Advanced stated...do what you love or you won't enjoy what you do.
We all faced the same thing at your age and we were all told the same thing...stick with it. The difference is, now that we are older, we understand what we were told.
The best of luck to you.

·
Registered
174 Posts
As soon as I figured out that some teachers really knew their stuff, but didn't know how to TEACH it, I started paying attention to what they MEANT to say versus what they actually said. Then things started to come together.

I still think college should have recess. :D

MoocH

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
LARRYY!!!!!!! SHHHHHH, I'm trying to hook up a "mangey trio"! :thumbup: Never could pronounce that French stuff, let alone spell it. (Sorry Chickie, the joke was there!)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Good point Mooch,

Some people are good at teaching, others are not. I feel I do a pretty good job at relaying the information to the students and help them to understand it. Too many just throw the info out and expect the student to decipher it. There are as many teaching methods as there are ways to learn. I try and teach by a motto that told to me.....don't be a sage on the stage, but a guide by the side.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I went to university for two years. For mainly financial reasons, (Mom and Dad didn't pay for school, nor would they sign the OSAP loan papers. I paid for it all myself, even if I did go to collection in my last year) I went to college and got a diploma in Mechanical Engineering Technology. I have regretted it ever since, not the school, the Technology part of my designation. I'm 32 now and have absolutely no time for the schooling it would take to become a Mechanical Engineer. I would literally have to drop life in the workforce and spend at least a solid year in school.

Brother, let me tell you this: it's all worth it. The subjects may be crap, but it's the way it makes you think thats worth the trouble. There are times in life that you may think you're wasting your time, but there is always an experience to draw from it. If you can, take some time off and think about where you're headed and if it all feels right. I knew Mech. Eng. was right for me, it came to me on a fishing trip. The motor (1962 Merc) broke down and I fixed it a la MacGyver. That's when I figured out that I was a mechanical person and should go into mechanical engineering; something that I love to do and have a knack at doing. I just didn't have the resources to accomplish it.

I still want the Mech. Eng. and eventually the P. Eng. designation, I just have to figure a way to do it. It would have been so simple if only I had done it back then when I was 22............

1 - 20 of 24 Posts